No announcement yet.

Switching from 16-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest sticking with what you've been doing. Three years isn't very long on feed. If the deer don't eat much feed, that means their needs are being met with native forage, and that's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham View Post
      From what I understand, anything more than 15 or 16 percent protein gets expelled out the rear of the deer.
      Excess protien is excreted in urine. FYI

Comment

Originally posted by Ham View Post
        From what I understand, anything more than 15 or 16 percent protein gets expelled out the rear of the deer. However, the 20 percent blends tend to have a better vitamin/mineral blend to them.
        My feeding is 16 protein with added mineral blend from now until summer. Then just 16 percent protein until hard horned.
        True but with low protein value native browse they will benefit from the extra bump.

Comment

I was told to feed 20 to free range and 16 to high fence , I think the pen deer eat a lot more, now this could be for penned deer in smaller enclosures.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post

We are in Wilbarger County and feed DD from mid- Dec through October. (We might as well feed year round 😒). We mostly use timed feeders. One free choice. Depending on how much green stuff there is to eat, the deer will take to the DD. In antler growing season and after the rut they will HAMMER it. Good luck.

OP -probably a silly question, but maybe not: with low numbers, what is the age classes of your deer herd? Are they old enough to show weight gain and antler development? Also, are the genetics in place? Do they have the genetic potential to be what you want?

We are blessed to have good genetics, relatively low pressure, and a rancher that plants food plots. We believe the DD makes a difference. Good luck with it all.
            Decent genetics, yes we have deer from 7.5 to fawns.

Comment

Working...
            X