Predator wire stopping coyotes/bobcats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predator wire stopping coyotes/bobcats?

We installed Predator wire on our 8 foot high fence. It's the kind that goes along the bottom of the fence and is pinned down. Even grass is growing through it and it's pretty **** secured to the ground. Can bobcats and coyotes possibly go over an 8ft fence? will they do that to get deer? Just curious what other people have witnessed. Thank you everyone. Maybe we have one of more living in the pen? its roughly 600 acres. Southeast Louisiana.

They usually don't go over but I've seen plenty of coyotes dig under the predator wire. It definitely helps keep the majority of them out but they will still dig under.

Comment

Can’t imagine any fence stopping a cat.
      We have photos of them using braces as ramps.

Coyotes might dig under. Armadillos are the ones who start our digs. That’s why so many people snare at the slides

cameras and tracks should identify type of predators and numbers.

Comment

Did you put dirt on top of the predator wire that lays on the ground? I would do that and then seed it with something perennial and that takes deep roots.

Comment

I have a deer management pen (DMP) with predator wire. We are in our 6th year. I have never had anything dig under the wire since we have had the pen. However last year I was driving around the pen and found a part of a fawn’s leg hanging in the fence. I reached out to my biologist and his opinion was that a bobcat had breached the fence, killed a fawn and tried to drag it out to feed her kittens. Fast forward a couple of days later and I jumped a bobcat while checking the perimeter (high fence), it took off toward the fence, climbed it until she could get her head through the wire and she was gone. Bottom line is I think the fence is protected from coyotes, but nothing will completely protect from a bobcat.

Comment

Can a coyote climb a fence?
            I would bet money on it, probably not a high probability

If you have 600 acres I guarantee there is a pair or more inside it unless you eradicated them after fencing it

Comment

What was the cost on the predator wire on 600 acres? I’m looking to do the same at our place

Comment

I've watched thru my thermal both coyotes and bobcats going up to first big square about waist high and climbing thru it. Predator wire does work but around my DMP pens I also have electric fence horse tape about waist high. This is 5 acre pens not sure feasible on 600 acres.

Comment

Working...
                X