Hardly a track in this food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardly a track in this food plot

Planted turnips, radishes, oats, hairy vetch and winter rape this fall. Looks great but my deer haven't developed a palate for it apparently. Nor the hogs for that matter. Looks like we'll be stocked up plenty on turnips and radishes!
    ​ ​​​

Wow! The deer on my place wouldn’t touch the turnips either. Lots of work in that plot.

Comment

Originally posted by SM69 View Post
      Looks great but my deer haven't developed a palate for it apparently. Nor the hogs for that matter.
      ​ ​​​
      Have your deer been active at your feeders? We are thinking about trying a supplemental food plot but I'm wondering if it's going to be a lot of work/money for nothing?

Comment

Just plant oats next time.
        Last edited by Walker; 01-09-2024, 02:51 PM.

Comment

They are pretty active at the feeders at night, not at all during the day. Planted just oats and wheat last year with similar results, not much action in the plot. Added the turnips and radishes to mostly help break up soil compaction this year which it appears to be helping with. Mostly an investment of time, the seed is not terribly expensive, I enjoy the heck out of planting it and hopefully watching it grow.

Comment

Southern deer tend not to like brassicas. Elbon rye and Green Cover seed blend in this plot. I like the blend except for the overwhelming brassicas. The deer don’t eat them ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	26688081

Comment

Drycreek, you can sure plant a food plot from the results of that pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Southern deer tend not to like brassicas. Elbon rye and Green Cover seed blend in this plot. I like the blend except for the overwhelming brassicas. The deer don’t eat them ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	26688081
                I planted a food plot for the first time ever this season- lots of brassica- and nothings really touched it. I’m kinda thinking/hoping they just haven’t figured out they can eat it yet. Maybe next year will be different.

Comment

On the other hand, this plot of Elbon rye, no soil test, on an old drill site, looks like astro turf now. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	26688402 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2326.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	26688403

Comment

There are other plants in amongst those collard greens in that first picture though. A close up shot. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2371.jpg
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	26688409

Comment

Wheat ,oats, ebon rye here. Deer smashing the plots as hard as it have ever seen.

Comment

The deer have stripped my food plot down to the ground. Hope the recent rain will perk it back up. Planted oats, wheat, and fall feed mix. Have planted the same thing for the last several years. Does well when it gets enough rain. Didn't put fertilizer on it this year. Planted dry and prayed for rain. Finally got rain, but cost of fertilizer made me pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by SM69 View Post
                          They are pretty active at the feeders at night, not at all during the day. Planted just oats and wheat last year with similar results, not much action in the plot. Added the turnips and radishes to mostly help break up soil compaction this year which it appears to be helping with. Mostly an investment of time, the seed is not terribly expensive, I enjoy the heck out of planting it and hopefully watching it grow.
                          Are you planting a spring plot in that same location? In your picture it looks like you only have cover on one side of your plot which may make the deer a little spooked trying to get to it. An old fella much smarter than me, told me years ago to have at least to sides of cover or a treeline to a food plot as the deer will typically sneak through the cover to access the plot during the daytime.

Turnips or radishes are great soil builders and I always mix one of the two with my winter oats, the deer around here will eat them after a freeze or cold snap. I believe the freeze releases the sugar content in the turnips. I usually get a 25 pound bag of purple top turnip seed, and that will do 6 acres worth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fp.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	26688569

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            There are other plants in amongst those collard greens in that first picture though. A close up shot. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2371.jpg
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	26688409
                            I think those broadleaf plants are brassicas?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

I think those broadleaf plants are brassicas?
                              According to Green Cover, smart radish and purple top turnips. I got no use for them, they are taking up space.

Comment

Working...
                              X