Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roadkill tests

Met our local TPW biologist this week as she was CWD
    testing a roadside kill. Even though she was explaining the process, it was only took about 5 minutes for her to remove the lymph nodes in the jaw.

I read where Texas hunters killed an estimated 670 K deer last year.
    Ever wonder how many get hit and killed by cars in Texas ?​

BP

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
    Met our local TPW biologist this week as she was CWD
    testing a roadside kill. Even though she was explaining the process, it was only took about 5 minutes for her to remove the lymph nodes in the jaw.

I read where Texas hunters killed an estimated 670 K deer last year.
    Ever wonder how many get hit and killed by cars in Texas ?​

BP

Have wondered myself, especially in November. I used to never see them up my way but the last couple years, there's been numerous dead ones
    on side of the road I routinely travel and that number of deer is greater than I'm seeing while hunting. Can't imagine what the numbers would be down
    south where deer are much more numerous than up here.
    If it wasn't for cars killing them and poachers hunting year round, we'd have a huge herd in this state.

Comment

I'm always shocked at how many don't get hit in some areas. I know of some spots that are highly concentrated with deer. Some pretty decent sized herds, and they will feed all the way up to the highway. You would think bodies would be all over the road, but they're not. Survival of the smartest.

Comment

This fall was no different in our area than normal.
        I would call it a healthy population of deer mostly managed by coyotes.
        buck /doe ratio is pretty close. So every fall the rut is intense and our roads east of Brownwood are covered in bucks.
        covered in red X’s.

BP

Comment

Working...
        X