holes under high fence - coyote question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holes under high fence - coyote question

Do y'all plug them up as soon as you see them or do you set snares? What's better for keeping coyotes out? I've always set snares when seeing holes, but our coyote problem has gotten out of control so I've started to cover them up with rocks. We are in central Texas. Can't get to the ranch regularly to check snares so when we were snaring a lot of times they are tripped or knocked over etc by the time we get to them.

I had better luck with #11 conibear traps than snares

Comment

Had a buddy around Giddings Texas years ago high fence 200 acres for fun. He knew there were a lot of coyotes but the neighboring cattle ranchers did not think it was excessive. That is until 12 months into the high fence being up we had snared 63!!! We finally got the neighbors to understand it was an issue and help work the problem and I believe in the next year there were almost 200 coyotes killed over about 2,000 acres!! It was absolutely crazy... snares work great if you set them right and if they get hung up I have not seen more coyotes go thru the hole with a dead one it. But they will just dig somewhere else!! Good luck!

Comment

For the past year, we have been filling in the holes with rocks. We didn't have any new dig unders until the last month, and now we have 7 new ones. I am about to try out the conibear traps at some of the dig unders.

Comment

I help my neighbor do both, it’s his fence but I’ve set snares and traps and caught a few. Definitely easier to fill with rocks and move on. However I like to get rid of them when we can

Comment

Conibear traps work much better. The yotes can get smart to the snares and paw them out of the way. Conibears play for keeps.

Comment

What size and brand of conibear traps do y’all use?

Comment

Sponges soaked in bacon grease.

Comment

Sponges soaked in bacon grease.
                  I've heard this as well. What kind of sponges do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                    What size and brand of conibear traps do y’all use?
                    280 or 330. Think mine are Dukes brand.

Comment

If it's a fresh dig we will put a snare on it. If we haven't caught anything in a couple of weeks then we will fill it with boulders.

Comment

No aprons ?

we had better luck with traps

Comment

Please don’t snare if the hole is bigger than 1 foot, you would not believe what can go through that !

And if someone like me sees anything other than a hog or predator snared, I call the game warden

Any snares at holes, I put a cam
                          Last edited by Johnny44; 12-05-2023, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Please don’t snare if the hole is bigger than 1 foot, you would not believe what can go through that !

And if someone like me sees anything other than a hog or predator snared, I call the game warden

Any snares at holes, I put a cam​
                            Afraid to ask what exactly you mean by this haha. What else are you seeing besides hogs or predators in snares?

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post

Afraid to ask what exactly you mean by this haha. What else are you seeing besides hogs or predators in snares?
                              Probably a deer

Comment

Working...
                              X