Food plot planting in December.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot planting in December.

With the lack of rain this year, when the rain started coming down Thurs, with another day of rain to come, we replanted our plot. What, do yall think, will be our level of success planting this late?
    Fire away!

Enough sun and ground moisture you should get germination and a good plot. My neighbor planted his plots weekend before thanksgiving in oats and they have come up good.

Comment

Global warming might be a good thing…….

Comment

Cereals like wheat and rye should be fine as long as we don't get a hard freeze. Rye will germinate in soil temps of 32 degrees. May not get crazy growth this month but will come in strong come spring.

Comment

Thanx guys. Seed is "rooting out", I think thats a good thing

Comment

Planted mine in November for my breeder deer,oats and winter peas plus and I’m on the gulf coast. They are doing great! What did you plant?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4398.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	26657260

Comment

Winter Wheat. I had a bag leftover, it had been raining. The plot that were planted this year did not do well, so when it started raining, we broadcast the seed on to wet ground. We will see

Comment

Won’t be a problem

Comment

I planted my plots 11/7 and they are doing good, just behind where they would normally be by now

Comment

Checked it today, sprouts about 2" long over half the plot

Comment

Don't think we will have a hard freeze until Jan. Should work out great for you. Having tender fresh growth could be a major draw right now

Comment

Yessir. The deer are here today, gone tomorrow. Im assuming someone has a green patch somewhere close.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Yessir. The deer are here today, gone tomorrow. Im assuming someone has a green patch somewhere close.
                          Slap about 60-80lbs of Nitrogen on it before the next rain and they’ll love yours more, makes it taste sweet

Comment

Yessir, we have plans for that

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post

Slap about 60-80lbs of Nitrogen on it before the next rain and they’ll love yours more, makes it taste sweet
                              Truth!!!! My neighbor plants big and skims on fertilize. We double up. He dont understand why they walk across his to come to my plit.

Comment

Working...
                              X