No G1's vs No G3's; Cull vs Not a Cull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No G1's vs No G3's; Cull vs Not a Cull?

I have been thinking about this recently and been meaning to post. Why is there a different perception between a deer having no G1's vs no G3's. In the scenario I'm talking about both deer would be 6 or 7 points and 3 or older. Maybe I'm wrong and everyone views them the same but my perception at least is that everyone says no brow tines, gotta go vs no G3's, lets see what they do as a general rule of thumb. Am I off here or is this correct? If it is correct why is this? My guess is research, experience, etc has shown that once a no G1 always a no G1 but deer can fluctuate between adding G3, 4 and 5's all the time but I have never seen any official study on this. There are always a lot of "cull this deer?" threads every year and it had me thinking as to what makes certain deer culls/management/whatever you want to call them vs others.

On a personal note, I had a deer show up that had no brows but a decent rack and seemed at least 3 but maybe 4. I told my wife to hunt him and she shot the wrong 6. She ended up shooting a deer with no g3's. I'm still glad she shot him as he was a big bodied deer with a small rack that was at least 3. But I've been conflicted on whether 1, both or neither should be shot. We have plenty of bucks that are younger with bigger racks/more points so I'm not super concerned about it but still food for thought. I also had a 7 point w/ no G3's that is at least 4 that I thought about trying to put my son on. My son shot a different old 8 so we won't go after the 7 but again the thought of does no G3 mean cull? My thought is he has way to much bone on his head to not have a G3 but am curious to what the people with a lot more knowledge than me had to say.

If the buck isn't old, don't shoot him. You can't change genetics on a low fence place with a gun or bow

Comment

That's some interesting campfire talk and always entertaining. It is confusing as to how the no-brows caught on and the no-G3s did not, especially seeing as how the brows typically contribute less to the score than do the G3s. Just a fun bandwagon to ride, I guess.

I managed a ranch in S TX during the '90s and culled the bajeebers out of all age classes. After 25 years of ranch mgt across many parts of Texas, I can confidently say - - -

Don't kill any buck until he's really old, regardless of what's on his head. You can't go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post

Don't kill any buck until he's really old, regardless of what's on his head. You can't go wrong.
        This ! I killed a buck once that was slick all the way to his G2s, not even a bump. I called him a cull, but most of the bucks on our lease were culls I shot him because he was standing at 15 yards and I had a bow in my hands. He was probably a two year old but I eat all my deer so I’m sure he was delicious !

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
          That's some interesting campfire talk and always entertaining. It is confusing as to how the no-brows caught on and the no-G3s did not, especially seeing as how the brows typically contribute less to the score than do the G3s. Just a fun bandwagon to ride, I guess.
          Yep, interesting to me and exactly what I'm thinking. No G1's is generally 6-10 inches tops on score while no G3's is typically 10-16 inches or more. For grins, I looked back at my admittedly small sample size of deer we have shot the past 3 years that scored over 130". Every single one of them, the sum of G3's was double and a couple of times triple what the sum of G1's was. Not saying either is correct, and ultimately those that are saying let them go there is no such thing as a cull are probably correct. But how many times have you heard "No brows, 100% gotta go"? I'm just curious if it just caught on that way or if there is actually a reason like "once no brows, always no brows" vs "No G3 this year but next year they will be there". I have also heard several times people say that a 6 point with no G3's and a big frame should be a "Bull 8" next year indicating they think the 3's will show up. How many times do the 3's show up vs how many times do the 1's show up the following year?
          Last edited by cehorn; 11-29-2023, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I believe no G1 always no G1. While G3 may growth later. Regardless deer population needs to be kept in check and balance. If you want to grow bigger deer, you must have enough food for them. The more deer you have the harder it gets. So, shoot "inferior" deer to be able to give time and food for the "superior" deer. It's just a matter of managing limited resources.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
              I believe no G1 always no G1. While G3 may growth later. Regardless deer population needs to be kept in check and balance. If you want to grow bigger deer, you must have enough food for them. The more deer you have the harder it gets. So, shoot "inferior" deer to be able to give time and food for the "superior" deer. It's just a matter of managing limited resources.
              Agree. I guess if 2 buck are standing next to each other I would shoot the no G1 over the no G3 but if that wasn't the case I would shoot the no G3 over the 8 point. This is assuming what you are saying is true and we need to get rid of mouths and the doe population is in check.

Comment

Working...
              X