• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do y'all think this is permanent?

Click image for larger version

Name:	View rece.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	26645718 As in that right side will always be jacked up - probably a dumb question but man there is potential in that left side. Pic doesn't do tine length justice.

Very well could be genetic and permanent. There are a couple of lopsided deer in my neighborhood. Same every year but bigger.

Comment

My gut feeling is yes it looks permanent. I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I would let some youngster shoot him and enjoy killing a “big buck”.

From here he looks middle aged. What part of Texas is that ?

BP

Comment

I bet he has an injury that caused it. Probably super genetics

Comment

Agree with GarGuy--

Usually associated with an injury, usually on the opposite side from antler deformity. Might not even be visible

Comment

McMullen county, I think he is mid aged as well hence the ask. He's no dummy, that is the only daylight pic I have of him. I'm thinking injury as well, another angle at night. Maybe keep him around to breed that tine length. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screensho.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	26646005
            Last edited by PassnItOn; 11-21-2023, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Agree with the above that it’s probably caused by injury.
              I didn’t see that tine length in first photo. Or know you were in McMullen.
              But if you don’t mind feeding him, those are good genetics.
              And you can always shoot him after his breeding days are over !

Comment

Probably. We had one on our lease that was something like that. Saw him for two years and he was the same. Strong four point rack on his left side, goobered up on his right. Very mature buck that ran with a nice ten. As far as I know they are both dead and we never laid eyes on them. We only got them on one camera and it was a bow set. I hunted them several times to no avail.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1469.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	26646390 That's funny, this is his running buddy. While we are at it, I think this one has some age on him, thoughts?

Comment

Love for one of my girls to see that old joker . . .

got any photos of him in his prime?

Comment

I do not, this is our 4th year to have the place and have never seen either of these deer. Haven't seen this one in a few weeks, hope he is still around - gonna put one of my upper 70 parents on him.

Comment

My son culled one a few years ago that grew weak on one side for two seasons straight.
                        The first year we gave him the wait and see, next year he met the skim category.

I doubt it's a genetic flaw that will be passed down, more likely an injury on the opposite side of his body somewhere.

Comment

Those lopsided characters are more commonly associated with an injury. And sometimes they do some really cool stuff at old age.

Comment

I've seen it so many times over the years I've lost count. All I can add is out of all the ones I've seen only 1 or 2 ever carried it for the rest of thier lives. I would never use that as a reason to take one before he's fully mature. Like others have said even if he was to carry it he can still grow some cool stuff to make up for it down the road

Comment

most likely injury -
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X