This deer doesn't look that old....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This deer doesn't look that old....

....to me. Long snout and skinny body.... I think he could be a 3 year old but no older than 4? What say the collective knowledge of the green screen?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231120_185135_Reveal.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	26645226 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231120_185148_Reveal.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	26645227

What you said!!!! Long legged rascal.

Comment

He looks a little more filled out from this angle. Wiley rascal only comes in before and after shooting light.

Name:	Screenshot_20231120_191957_Reveal.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	26645252

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        He looks a little more filled out from this angle. Wiley rascal only comes in before and after shooting light.

Name:	Screenshot_20231120_191957_Reveal.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	26645252
        Then he is probably older than 3.5. Bucks lose lots of weight chasing tail this time of year.

Comment

Hard to say this time of year. I shot a 7.5 y/o that looked just like the second pic you posted. Body was a 3.5 all day unless you had camera history with him (I had 3 years worth starting when he was at least 4.5).

They can get skinny when they get old. Those rear hips and the way he stands "down" on his hooves (i.e. not on his tippy toes) don't scream young deer to me. But night time pics and no prior history make it a tough call. Would want to see him on the hoof and see him walk and gauge how other deer react to him.

When in doubt I'm going to walk vs shoot.

Comment

I think that deer is older than you give him credit for, look at his hind end you can see his hip bones, hes built like a drag car. I think he has reached that age where they start to get a younger body look to them

Comment

Where you at? They rutting yet? 3 year olds in that area produce those types of horns? I agree with your assessment but then immediately argue with myself lol. This aging game is tough.

Comment

Old looking head/face and hip bones showing. Kinda knock-kneed in the back end, and dark hocks. He looks old to me.

Comment

Young deer with great potential. Generally for me, if I’m trying to make them 5+ in my mind, that’s when I know they’re not!

Comment

I’d have guessed he’s a little older. His legs look a little “arthritic” to me. I’m no expert on deer, though.

Comment

He aint young

Comment

Still after this dude. He's a wiley SOB though. Only after dark or before daylight.

Name:	Screenshot_20231221_203514_Reveal.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	26677385 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231227_183226_Reveal.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	26677386

Comment

Thinning out from age. Older than 4.

Comment