Legal/non-legal bucks ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal/non-legal bucks ...

Am sure this question has been posed before here but here it is again, for a different reason.
    This year on my place, there are numerous young bucks running around that were not there before,
    several are fork-horns on one side with either no antler or a single antler on the other.

- Should these be culled or wait and see if they improve next year?

- If culling is necessary, are the fork-horn bucks with NO antler on the other side legal or not legal?
    Any wardens input also greatly appreciated.

Can you legally shoot these deer?
    OR
    Should you shoot these deer (cull)?
    Two different questions.

From a deer management standpoint, there are no meaningful reasons to kill a buck before he reaches old age. Regardless of what's on his head. If you want to kill one and will derive enjoyment from hunting, and it's legal, then I say - go get 'em. But don't kill them just because you think, or someone told you, it will improve the herd. It won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
      Can you legally shoot these deer?
      OR
      Should you shoot these deer (cull)?
      Two different questions.

From a deer management standpoint, there are no meaningful reasons to kill a buck before he reaches old age. Regardless of what's on his head. If you want to kill one and will derive enjoyment from hunting, and it's legal, then I say - go get 'em. But don't kill them just because you think, or someone told you, it will improve the herd. It won't.
      This right here ! Three places to hunt, and I’ve seen the same thing on all three places. Last Friday (a week ago) I saw seven bucks while on an all day sit. Only one was legal and I passed him because he was a 3.5 year old. That’s the way you “improve” your herd (to some extent). Pass 3.5 year old bucks if you have enough land to have any expectations of seeing him next year. Our lease is 350 acres+-, but I passed him anyway. May never see him again but I have another place to hunt that needs does thinned.
      Last edited by Drycreek3189; 11-18-2023, 09:14 AM.

Comment

is the fork horn with nothing on the other side legal or not? I don't plan on killing them,
        simply curious but can't get the question answered. Nothing in the regs clears it up.

Comment

If there is nothing on the other side it should be legal. since it has one side with an unbranched antler

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
            If there is nothing on the other side it should be legal. since it has one side with an unbranched antler
            the fork is branched, the other side there is nothing.

Comment

Exactly so one side DOES NOT have a branched antler so you he would be legal to shoot. Think of him as if one side was a spike. For example there is a buck you wish you could take out of the herd as a cull but he never reaches 13" for AR. Well he breaks off one side at the base of the main beam and BAM he's legal or if he breaks off the main beam and doesnt have any tines left

Comment

Exactly so one side DOES NOT have a branched antler so you he would be legal to shoot. Think of him as if one side was a spike. For example there is a buck you wish you could take out of the herd as a cull but he never reaches 13" for AR. Well he breaks off one side at the base of the main beam and BAM he's legal or if he breaks off the main beam and doesnt have any tines left
                im no warden, but ive always understood it the other way. Regs say 13" or more; or at least 1 unbranched antler. Having 4 pts on one side and none on the other does not meet the definition. There is no unbranched antler. In other words, if he broke both off, would he have 2 unbranched antlers? Or would he be antlerless? He would have to have an antler, natural or broken off tines, to have '1 unbranched antler'. At least thats the way i have always understood it

Comment

The buck must have one unbranched antler. It has to have a spike on one side or the other or both. The only way a buck with only one antler is legal is if that one antler is unbranched AKA a spike.

Comment

I'm guessing he used to have an antler on the other side in my assumptions and its just broken off, so I would classify it as a spike since there should still be a remnant of an antler base broke through the skin I would think.

Comment

I'm guessing he used to have an antler on the other side in my assumptions and its just broken off, so I would classify it as a spike since there should still be a remnant of an antler base broke through the skin I would think.
                      Then it better have an antler of at least 1" protruding still on the broken side or it is not legal by the regs

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post

im no warden, but ive always understood it the other way. Regs say 13" or more; or at least 1 unbranched antler. Having 4 pts on one side and none on the other does not meet the definition. There is no unbranched antler. In other words, if he broke both off, would he have 2 unbranched antlers? Or would he be antlerless? He would have to have an antler, natural or broken off tines, to have '1 unbranched antler'. At least thats the way i have always understood it
                        That's what I was thinking but was never for sure. Makes sense that way.

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post

Then it better have an antler of at least 1" protruding still on the broken side or it is not legal by the regs
                          This is the AR rules from TPWD website
                          • A legal buck deer is defined as having a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND:
                            • At least one unbranched antler; or
                            • An inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater.
                          W​here does it say anything about have to be at least an inch tall? To my knowledge that inch stipulation is only for scoring a buck on whether a tine or kicker counts. All I'm reading is that it has to "protrude through the skin" so if a main beam has broken off and is .00005" tall and isn't covered with skin that would count as an unbranched hardened antler.
                          If there is antler with no fur covering it then it is protruding. In other words a hammer can make almost any buck legal but if a warden sees that it was a fresh break then you better be prepared for questions.

Comment

You are correct. That is the definition of a point. I thought they gave the same definition to 'antler'. So id say you are probably right that as long as there is hardened antler protruding, and unbranched on other side, it would be legal

Comment

If you are on a low fence place you can't change your genetics with a bow or rifle. If they are young deer let them grow and see what happens. If you want to take mouths off your place then shoot them. Either way it won't change a thing as far as genetics.

Comment

Working...
                              X