Better late than not at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better late than not at all

Finally got my fall plots planted (anybody else wait this late?)
    Too hot and dry in September, plus the probability of army worms getting it if it did come up.
    October had very little opportunity between other trips
    Decided this weekend it was now or never since it was still nice and rain forcasted later this week

125# of wildlife mix with an extra 50# of bob oats spread over about 2ac
    2 1/4ac plots to hunt over and ~1.5ac throw and mow
    Started this morning and got done around 6:45, had to finish mowing with the lights on the tractor

PSA if you are going to procrastinate planting your plots, at least buy the seed before you have to hunt all over to find any

Now if the pigs will leave the disced areas alone I might get some results

Already planning for spring and next fall. Going to try the Low Fence blend for fall. Spring is going to be I&C peas, sunflowers, okra and maybe some soybeans

Fingers crossed that you get a late season frost this year.

Comment

I also planted later than usual waiting on cool and wet weather
      We got lucky on both. Not worried about frost on my wheat and oats.

BP

Comment

Threw my first attempt at a fall plot 2.5 weeks ago. Figured better late than plant when it was hot and dry.

Comment

I plant Labor Day weekend every year for 30+ yrs. Not one time have I had issues with army worms. This year due to zero moisture I didn’t plant until the 1st week of October. I spent last weekend spraying army worms, **** things show up and can do some damage fast. Today looks like I’ve saved most of it.

Comment

Plot I hunted over this morning took, 2"+ growth
            I will check the other plot and the field later today if I have time

Comment

Working...
            X