Done for 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done for 2023

My buddy and I planted my last food plot for the year last Monday. I got my feeder pen up the next day and picked up a Lamco Low and Throw today at the Carthage TSC. Saturday I’ll set it and fill it and be ready to hunt this new spot on my son’s lease. I planted straight Elbon rye for the most part with some crimson clover on one end. This was an old drill site from years ago. I put out 300 lb. of lime, 300 lb. of triple 13, and 100 lb. of elbon rye. Need a rain sooner than later ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2135.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	26609538

The feeder to the side is just one that was already there. I’m done with those at my age ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2138.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	26609541

Comment

Y'all got it looking like a golf course, Don. We definitely need some more rain.
      The oil company called to tell me that they were giving my property back to me a couple of weeks ago. Plugging and abandoning two wells.
      Pretty much messed up the deer patterns for now but I know they'll be right back.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
        Y'all got it looking like a golf course, Don. We definitely need some more rain.
        The oil company called to tell me that they were giving my property back to me a couple of weeks ago. Plugging and abandoning two wells.
        Pretty much messed up the deer patterns for now but I know they'll be right back.
        They will be back before you know it as soon as things settle down. At least you won’t have anymore oil field traffic.

Comment

How many acres in that plot? Sounds like it’s gonna be great when the rains come. We always had good luck with elbon rye.

I still have tripod feeders, but shortened the legs and only where I can back the truck or mule up to them.

Hope you enjoyed some good years with the oil/gas wells.
          Having mailbox money is a great way to finance new feeders and fertilizer!

Comment

It’s not my place, just a lease but I agree on the mailbox money, I was in on several wells for years. That was a
            300’x300’ cleared area to begin with but it’s not quite that big now. It’s still the biggest food plot I have room for.

Comment

I was at my other lease today pulling sd cards, and I just couldn’t resist peeking at my new plot. I’m pretty happy with the coverage I got. Very unhappy at the number of hogs on camera, but I knew that beforehand. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	26616136 Click image for larger version

Name:	10170040.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	26616137

Comment

Looking good! Lots of rain coming next week really going to make it pop. I’m going to plant and fertilize a plot Monday or Tuesday before the rain gets here.

Comment

A picture of the plot my son sent this morning Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	26630307

Comment

Man that’s beautiful! I missed all the rain last go around so my oats that were planted are still waiting for some moisture. Looks like Friday morning it’s going to get some.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      Man that’s beautiful! I missed all the rain last go around so my oats that were planted are still waiting for some moisture. Looks like Friday morning it’s going to get some.
                      Let’s hope so ! I haven’t complained about rain since I stopped moving dirt.

Comment

Working...
                      X