• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oat food plot and Hogs

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4109.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	650.0 KB
ID:	26603239 Planted a 2 acre oat and winter peas food plot at the lease last weekend. Question is will hogs plow it up and ruin it? Heard conflicting answers from a few people so far. The plot got about 1 inch rain the day after I planted and looking like going to get more today.

Never had hogs root up oat seeds but they are he'll on planted corn.

Comment

They could go after winter peas, the sooner they germinate, the better for you. I believe they like to root around in soft/plowed soil going after grubs and worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        Never had hogs root up oat seeds but they are he'll on planted corn.
        Good to hear! I turned my corn feeders off at this location for now also

Comment

Originally posted by SCHC View Post
          They could go after winter peas, the sooner they germinate, the better for you. I believe they like to root around in soft/plowed soil going after grubs and worms.
          Was a little worried about the soft ground so I tried to pack it with the tractor tires as best I could. Hopefully no grubs

Comment

You don't need to pack the dirt on oats. Maybe for peas, I've never planted peas.

Comment

We plant 20 acres of oats every year. Some years they don’t touch them. Other years they destroy them. We may fence the oats if they destroy them as bad this year as they did last.

Comment

Usually they will graze on them with minimal rooting in my experience. Depends on if you have nutsedge growing in there with the oats. Usually that's what they are going after in my stuff.

Comment

Who knows, hogs have a mind of their own. The last few years I have pics of them grazing my wheat like cows. They will for sure smell the seeds and try to eat anything they find on the ground but after the seeds germinate they will leave them alone……I think. Shoot in amongst ‘em !

Comment

Every year I plant wheat and oats for my food plots and some years the hog root and some years they dont. Couple things I noticed is, if it rains the next day on the plot I seldom get rooting and if I pack them in I get very little rooting. I can not see hogs on camera's for months and stick a plow in the ground and here they come. Must be able to smell fresh dirt for miles. If I just plant and cover the seed, I can guarantee I will get hogs rooting with no rain. This year I am going to sit in the deer stand a couple of nights with night vision and make sure they dont root.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                      Usually they will graze on them with minimal rooting in my experience. Depends on if you have nutsedge growing in there with the oats. Usually that's what they are going after in my stuff.
                      Didn’t see any nutsedge, way to dry down there for that stuff

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                        Every year I plant wheat and oats for my food plots and some years the hog root and some years they dont. Couple things I noticed is, if it rains the next day on the plot I seldom get rooting and if I pack them in I get very little rooting. I can not see hogs on camera's for months and stick a plow in the ground and here they come. Must be able to smell fresh dirt for miles. If I just plant and cover the seed, I can guarantee I will get hogs rooting with no rain. This year I am going to sit in the deer stand a couple of nights with night vision and make sure they dont root.
                        I planted Saturday and Monday got about 1 inch rain, I packed that ground with the tractor tires as good as I could for this reason. Still little worried though

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          Who knows, hogs have a mind of their own. The last few years I have pics of them grazing my wheat like cows. They will for sure smell the seeds and try to eat anything they find on the ground but after the seeds germinate they will leave them alone……I think. Shoot in amongst ‘em !
                          So what you’re trying to say is that they will probably plow the chit out it probably.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post

So what you’re trying to say is that they will probably plow the chit out it probably.
                            I’ve planted a lot of stuff in the last ten years, and I’ve not had much actual rooting in the plots. They will nose around and eat anything they can pick up on top. I think you rolling it down was a good thing and if you got rain on it the germination process should begin immediately. They will lose interest in it after that. Still……shoot in amongst ‘em because they need to know they ain’t on welfare !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

I’ve planted a lot of stuff in the last ten years, and I’ve not had much actual rooting in the plots. They will nose around and eat anything they can pick up on top. I think you rolling it down was a good thing and if you got rain on it the germination process should begin immediately. They will lose interest in it after that. Still……shoot in amongst ‘em because they need to know they ain’t on welfare !
                              Well got 3 inches of rain on it since Monday so should be good, I’ll cross my fingers

Comment

Working...
                              X