• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I got is Wow!

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
      thank you - I have so many more pics of incredible deer. Been on this ranch for 15 years. 200 inch bucks pretty regular. I stopped posting here for awhile because I was told that I did not know what I was doing and our culling program would not work. Anyways I will keep enjoying this lease. Proof is in the pudding right???
      What is y'alls strategy ?

Comment

Dang good bucks

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post

Probably feed Double Down

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post

Well that's a feed program, not a "culling program" But I am still interested in hearing the strategy.

Comment

Great deer. Must be the double down.

Comment

thank you - I have so many more pics of incredible deer. Been on this ranch for 15 years. 200 inch bucks pretty regular. I stopped posting here for awhile because I was told that I did not know what I was doing and our culling program would not work. Anyways I will keep enjoying this lease. Proof is in the pudding right???
                Success is the best revenge, they say!

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post

Ha! Ha! No way!

Lyssy and Eckel - we have 29 feed pens and lots of cottonseed

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post

We do not shoot any trophy bucks under age 6. Many times they are 7 or 8 and in some cases even older.

We cull does hard and the number depends on the fawn survival and range conditions but generally it will be between 50 and 100 per season. Lot's of work but is a huge management tool IMO.

We cull all 8 points or less at age 3 or 4 or older. Each member can take one management buck which is at least 4 years old and 140 or less.

We have no cattle or oil field traffic. We have water pilas placed all around the ranch so there is never a shortage of water even during drought. We feed protein, cottonseed, and corn. We shut the protein and cottonseed off during the season.

Our number one item is finding the right hunters/members who are patient, follow our rules, etc. We limit our guest to direct family members or one non family guest. All guest/family must sit with the member at all times.

We spend a great deal of time with our trail cameras (off season only) using them to help identify bucks and determine their age. We openly share videos with each other and use common respect between ourselves.
                    '
                    We have a camp house with bulletin boards holding 8x10 pictures of all Do Not Kill bucks and Kill bucks. If we are not sure of a buck's age from the camera pics then we will ask our members to video them first so we can make a decision on the age.

This approach has worked for us for the past 15 years.

Comment

South Texas? Ranch size? sounds like a similar program to our lease. Location and size plays a huge impact as well. Beautiful bucks BTW! Looks like yall are doing all the right things!

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
                        South Texas? Ranch size? sounds like a similar program to our lease. Location and size plays a huge impact as well. Beautiful bucks BTW! Looks like yall are doing all the right things!
                        yes STex and around 9000 acres LF

Comment

We do not shoot any trophy bucks under age 6. Many times they are 7 or 8 and in some cases even older.

We cull does hard and the number depends on the fawn survival and range conditions but generally it will be between 50 and 100 per season. Lot's of work but is a huge management tool IMO.

We cull all 8 points or less at age 3 or 4 or older. Each member can take one management buck which is at least 4 years old and 140 or less.

We have no cattle or oil field traffic. We have water pilas placed all around the ranch so there is never a shortage of water even during drought. We feed protein, cottonseed, and corn. We shut the protein and cottonseed off during the season.

Our number one item is finding the right hunters/members who are patient, follow our rules, etc. We limit our guest to direct family members or one non family guest. All guest/family must sit with the member at all times.

We spend a great deal of time with our trail cameras (off season only) using them to help identify bucks and determine their age. We openly share videos with each other and use common respect between ourselves.
                          '
                          We have a camp house with bulletin boards holding 8x10 pictures of all Do Not Kill bucks and Kill bucks. If we are not sure of a buck's age from the camera pics then we will ask our members to video them first so we can make a decision on the age.

This approach has worked for us for the past 15 years.
                          Way more stress than I'd ever want to associate with hunting personally, but you are definitely doing it right to produce those amazing bucks in that quantity. Don't listen to anyone telling you anything different. You found what works for you and your property and lease members and as you said, the proof is in the pudding. Nicely done Huntingfool and good luck this season.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post

Way more stress than I'd ever want to associate with hunting personally, but you are definitely doing it right to produce those amazing bucks in that quantity. Don't listen to anyone telling you anything different. You found what works for you and your property and lease members and as you said, the proof is in the pudding. Nicely done Huntingfool and good luck this season.
                            I understand it is not for everyone but I (we) enjoy the whole process. Also our LO orders all of the feed and puts the feed out so that takes a load off of us. He also maintains the blinds, shreds senderos, etc.

Comment

A few more from previous years Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2423.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.3 KB ID:	26601697Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0867 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	559.6 KB ID:	26601698 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0324.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	26601695 Click image for larger version  Name:	118907943_5113779538647598_1456863671578912389_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.6 KB ID:	26601696 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1366 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	601.8 KB ID:	26601694

Comment

Working...
                              X