McLennan and Bosque County 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McLennan and Bosque County 2023

Well, its summer now! Water temperatures at the lake are warming up quickly and becoming to much work to keep fish alive on my jugs, so....

Most all late fall/spring food plots have browned and thatched over making them non-palatable. Tons of native browse along the river and the early summer broad leaf browse are getting hammered by the wildlife. The Bosque is running well and the holes are back full.

Drove up on our first fawn siting for the year Saturday June 10th and it was no more than a day old. Since then I have laid eyes on 3 others, all about the same size...SMALL. However, did catch one on camera June 6th with mom at a self feeder.

Deer on the river grounds are back to being consistent on corn and supplemental feed, was hoping they would hold off a little longer.

Deer behind the house are looking very healthy and are also dropping fawns now. Seems the native browse around the house is holding up so far to the mid to upper 90 days.

Will put out white salt blocks later this week along with freshening up my mineral lick areas.

In an attempted to help my clovers hold on a tad longer, I shredded the cereal rye, oats and wheat that were over shadowing them. Seems to have helped the clovers get a little more sun and in return continue to grow and offer some substance for the deer. Might add this to my yearly list of late spring early summer chores.

Lastly, had to set and start baiting the old hog trap, got a couple sows and bunches of midget size piglets showing up.

I will attempt to keep this thread updated and add some pictures along the way for you known reader type.

God Bless and have a good one.

Rwc

A few trail cam photos from this past week, plus a rainbow that I would like to see after another good rain before we get stupid hot and dry!

Enjoy
    Rwc

Comment

Looking good. That's about the stage my Mills county bucks are in.

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Good stuff...keep it coming!!....

Comment

Looking good. Best of luck to y’all this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
              Looking good. Best of luck to y’all this year.
              We will take all the luck we can muster up.......

Appreciate it.

Rwc

Comment

Just return back into the states from spending a week around Port Morales, Mexico with the wife, Breck, Ashton and Son-n-Law. Had a great time but not mad to be back home....

Just got a chance to peak at this card from my river grounds and seems the deer are still looking healthy and very consistent on that old goat pellets I have been dumping. Should have a few farmers begin thrashing Milo/Maize before long. I'll normally end up feeding 1200 or so pounds of that before going back to straight corn from the spin feeder.

Well hope each are having a successful off season. I will be throwing out a camera or two around the house and will post anything of interest from McLennan County shortly.

God bless and hope each have a great weekend.

Rwc Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0424.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.9 KB ID:	26516537 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0443.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.5 KB ID:	26516538 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0448.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.1 KB ID:	26516539 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0528.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.0 KB ID:	26516540 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0548.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.6 KB ID:	26516541 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0586.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.1 KB ID:	26516542 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0626.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.8 KB ID:	26516543
                Last edited by Rwc; 06-23-2023, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I'm loving that deer in the last two pics there buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                    I'm loving that deer in the last two pics there buddy!
                    Let me get the VIP room ready with the baby bed and rocking chair............

I have one mature buck from last year that has yet to make an appearance that should be a tad better than average.....lol

Rwc

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5884.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	26518981

Deer are starting to move towards more timbered covered broad-leaf grazing and less field shrubs/grains. As I was scouting a little over the weekend, I noticed allot more ate down browse within the more timbered areas. This normally means that the food plot or field type browse has become less palatable and or has died. Each year when I notice this type of feed pattern change I also notice greater numbers of deer on feed. I contribute this to the browning of field browse and the harvesting/silage of corn in my area.

But as I have typed many times previously, for the next 3 months, water is key.

Enjoy and God Bless.

Rwc Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5870.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	26518980 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5883.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	522.8 KB
ID:	26518982 Click image for larger version

Name:	06240046.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	26518983 Click image for larger version

Name:	06240060.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	26518984

Comment

Another positive about scouting summer dry patterns is the ease in locating well traveled game trails...........

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5875.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	26519171 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5876.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	26519172 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5877.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	26519173 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5878.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	26519174
                        Once I locate and mark the more used trails, I then wait on a good rain and go back and see which ones have the most current sign.

Rwc

Comment

I have family with a nice little place in that area. Deer are hammering their feeders right now, and they are more on pace with what you see in Aug-Sept.

Antler growth and body mass are night and day different from last year at this time. That is good to see.

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCat View Post
                            I have family with a nice little place in that area. Deer are hammering their feeders right now, and they are more on pace with what you see in Aug-Sept.

Antler growth and body mass are night and day different from last year at this time. That is good to see.
                            Yes sir, most all deer are looking extremely healthy for this time of year. Lots of fawns running a muck so I am guessing the fawn survival rate should much greater than last year also.

If you are ever in the area look me up.

Best of luck to you and your family this season.

Rwc

Comment

I've got a couple fawns that their Moms have staked out behind the house near the water station. One has figured out that the ground between the water buckets and spigot is the coolest. Walked up on it yesterday afternoon with my lab Bell in tow. The little booger startled both of us when it jumped up to run, glad the camera did not pick my reactions up......lol

Enjoy

Click image for larger version  Name:	06270069.jpg Views:	0 Size:	289.9 KB ID:	26521692 Click image for larger version  Name:	06280092.jpg Views:	0 Size:	305.5 KB ID:	26521693 Click image for larger version  Name:	06280122.jpg Views:	0 Size:	525.6 KB ID:	26521694 Click image for larger version  Name:	06280108.jpg Views:	0 Size:	359.7 KB ID:	26521695 Click image for larger version  Name:	06280121.jpg Views:	0 Size:	509.8 KB ID:	26521696
                              Must have been 100 pictures of it just laying there the last 3 days.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	06280073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	305.4 KB ID:	26521697
                              Wished I could make out what jumped it out of its bed???
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	06270039.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.1 KB ID:	26521698
                              Young buck that frequents the water station.

At this time deer are consuming right at 25 gallons of water every 2 days.

Rwc
                              Last edited by Rwc; 06-29-2023, 07:14 AM. Reason: My A.D.D. kicked in!

Comment

Working...
                              X