No announcement yet.

Anyone growing trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't read all the post but i saw a mossy oak commercial about their nursery and some of their particular trees. Just an fyi.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
      Thinking about trying some chestnuts also this year. Where did you order the Chestnuts from?
      Yep I got mine from the eBay dude. They are huge seeds. Way bigger than a quarter.

Comment

i got some off ebay earlier from "rfarmer20k9" a lot of people on qdma said he was good and they are fresh.... was also $25.95 for 5 lbs shipped

Comment

I grew wildlife chestnuts from empire chestnut last year. One thing I will say about any chestnut, beware of overwatering!!! They are very prone to damping off. If i do any more I think i will just start them in 1gal rootmaker pots and skip the 18 cells. I think that will make it much easier on the water issue.

Also, I believe all chestnuts need about 60 days of cold stratification, so put them in damp (not wet!) peat moss in the fridge for 2 months first. I think some of my problems last year came from having stored them too wet because I was scared of them drying out. Man, when they start growing though they really take off.

I still have some sawtooths still alive, we will see if the come back next spring.

Comment

Jethro, you know anywhere to get some sawtooth acorns right now?

Comment

Ebay has a ton of sawtooth acorns right now.

Get the best deals for sawtooth acorn at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

I just got some from ebay & evey single one of them floated! They didnt even think about sinkin!

Comment

Ok I tried a different seller, we'll see!

Comment

I got some from tomhop9621 on eBay and every one of them sunk. I have them in the fridge stratifying now.

Comment

Thats who I just ordered 50 from. Makes me feel better knowing you had good luck with them. Thanks for the direction! Now we just need to find some DCO acorns!!!

Comment

Hows the best cheapest way to ship acorns?

Comment

I'm not positive but UPS or USPS would be my best guess.

Comment

I got my acorns in a USPS envelope. They were all fine when I got them.

Comment

Hey Unc, those new sawtooths sank like a rock. Cant wait till they sprout!

Comment

Originally posted by bwool View Post
                                Hey Unc, those new sawtooths sank like a rock. Cant wait till they sprout!
                                Very good! Stratify them in some damp peat in the fridge for about 2 months.

Comment

Working...
                                X