Some rambling thoughts on aging on the hoof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some rambling thoughts on aging on the hoof

As the season nears and I look at trailcam pics for the billionth time my subconcious seems to push me from "he needs a few years" mentality that I had a month ago to "he's not that bad...look at the sag in that belly (or whatever)". So, I went back AGAIN to aging websites and compared what I read to what I am seeing:

If I am doing my research correctly the deer in the middle (under the feeder) appears to be 3. I am judging this by the lack of neck to shoulder transition which means its harder to tell where the neck stops and the shoulders begin. I can't go beyond 3 because (to me) he still looks long legged and has a relatively flat stomach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-16 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	24870015

In this shot I would guess this would be the classic example of new hunter ground shrinkage. The newbie may consider the antlers tall and wide (for what many consider a "typical hill country deer") and they outsize the deer around him by a pretty large margin. However, the neck to shoulder transition is extremely distinct, he looks like he is on stilts and has no stomach whatsoever. 2 yr old.

Name:	9-16 4.jpg
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	24870016

I find this final shot interesting. Very large number of bucks for our area (around Killeen). However, not a shooter age-wise in the bunch. This tells me that either we are shooting too many bucks and not letting them mature or the mature bucks are not visiting the feeder. In the last 3 years one buck (4 1/2) has been taken off of this property and there is very little hunting around us. So, my extremely amateur analysis tells me that a case can be made that bucks truly do become more cautious with age and bury themselves deep in the brush until the does start flirting.

Name:	Bucks 2.jpg
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	24870017

Your thoughts?

Good post... agree with you on your age guesses.

Comment

How long is your feeder going off for? It gets dark around 7:45... Looks like your feeder is going off at 6? There isn't any corn left by the time of day older bucks are moving... Remember... This time of year most of them (mature bucks) are starting to move pretty late... And are going to water first. Cut your current cycle in half.. Leave the original time at 6... But try using the other half at like 7:15 to see if you fet mature deer to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
        How long is your feeder going off for? It gets dark around 7:45... Looks like your feeder is going off at 6? There isn't any corn left by the time of day older bucks are moving... Remember... This time of year most of them (mature bucks) are starting to move pretty late... And are going to water first. Cut your current cycle in half.. Leave the original time at 6... But try using the other half at like 7:15 to see if you fet mature deer to come.
        Correct, spinning at 6:00. Was spinning for 5 seconds, 2 wks ago I cut it back to 4 seconds. Will try your method...cut the 6:00 back even more, set a second spin for 7:15. I will be there this coming Thursday night...too close to the opener to make changes or should I wait until after Sunday morning's hunt to affect the next time I go up? Thanks for the advice.
        Last edited by txrdkng; 09-27-2011, 07:06 AM.

Comment

leaning to 4 and 3 on the bucks, unless you tell me they have had all the protein they wanted to eat this year.

Comment

You are correct in your research except that I would add that you must take into consideration the area your hunting, the time of year and conditions.
            With all this figured in I would say that first deer is 4.5, second is 2.5 and the middle buck under the feeder on last pic is 4.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
              I was discussing the same thing yesterday with our bio. Going to do the same type thing in the morning and throw a little corn about 830am.

Comment

Originally posted by bcdawg1 View Post
                leaning to 4 and 3 on the bucks, unless you tell me they have had all the protein they wanted to eat this year.
                VERY interesting question! We have 700 acres on one side of a 4 lane highway and 100 acres (bow only) directly across on the other side. We have two 1,000 lb protein feeders that we keep filled 9 months out of the year on the 700 acre "rifle/bow" side but only feed corn year-round on the bow-only side. We have had many conversations over whether they are crossing the road to get to the protein but have not reached any conclusions. And none of us have enough experience or patience to pour through all the pictures looking for the same deer on different sides of the highway.

Comment

Sure looks like a good crop of deer. There has to be some good bruisers that don't like their pics taken. Good Luck on your upcoming season. Lookin Good.

Comment

have to believe they are getting some supplement either from the other side of the road or a neighbors pasture because they are definitley sleek looking and not poor for the range conditions we have had this year.

Comment

Working...
                    X