Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tips on scoring deer in the field from the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I can follow!!!!!! LOL

Comment

Start with a baseline average for deer in your area. In kansas we start at 95 for a shooter buck. This is your spread, main beams, and your 8 wraps. Example: 18 inch spread. 22 inch beams, X2= 44, 33 inches of mass = 95. Then just ad your uptines G1's,2's,3's on one side and double it add it to your baseline and you will be close quickly, If there is exceptional mass or main beam length make those adjustments. You can do this in the stand in less than 20 seconds.

Comment

at our lease down south we give 100'' then add tines, the 100 has been short on most of the old guys...

Comment

Originally posted by gusman View Post
          at our lease down south we give 100'' then add tines, the 100 has been short on most of the old guys...
          That's the point I was making--you've got to know your herd characteristics and that takes putting a tape on more than 2-3 racks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
            Ears are 6", eyes are 3-4" diameter.....beams coming out to the end of the nose 20"
            The ears are tuff!
            The deer I hunted in Hamilton Co. Had very short ears... Maybe 4" at best.
            That's when I stopped using ear length to judge.

If you have a pin, use the squares. Wether they're 4" squares or what ever.
            I don't use a pin but I have a piece of rebar hammered in the ground under my feeder that I use to tell how tall the deer are.
            I also have tape every 4" to give me something to measure with

Comment

Agree knowing your herd characteristics is the key. Most deer that you would shoot for trophy bucks will fall within a 5-7 inch window on the baseline score

Comment

Cool thread.

Comment

Working...
                X