Habitat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Habitat question

My wifes family owns a 90 acre tract in washington county not far from the brazos river. I see plenty of deer in the area but never any on our land. The place is almost void of trees im guessing it was stripped sometime back for crop or hay production. FIL has given me permission to do as I please with the place. I want to try to improve the habitat by planting trees and cover. I know oaks are ideal but as dry as its been I really dont want to spend a ton of money for oaks that are just gonna die. And im looking for a little faster growth than oaks. My son is just a little over a year old and id love to be able to start a "family place" for us to hunt when he is of age. Id like to hear your suggestions and tips!

Sawtooth oaks produce in about 6 six years. To me it is the number one thing you need to get in the ground. Do you have a County Ag Agent near? They or a game biologist can help you with ideas of what to plant. What type topo and land do you have? Soils? Water source?
    Plant some bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush and make it look good on the way in. Start planning and be ready to get something in the ground in Dec or later.

Comment

Thanks. I will get the number for the ag agent. Thats something I didnt think of and the exact reason why I posted my question. Also I like your idea of the flowers! I was already thinking about doing sunflowers for the doves but the bluebonnets definatley make a pretty driveway for the spring time!

Comment

also,slash pines grow fast you can buy those pretty cheap as seedlings. I would put some in groves. also mesquites if you want to go with those, deer they like the beans/seeds they produce and they also grow fast.

Comment

X2 on the sawtooth....my sawtooths, even on this drought year, are producing like crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
            also,slash pines grow fast you can buy those pretty cheap as seedlings. I would put some in groves. also mesquites if you want to go with those, deer they like the beans/seeds they produce and they also grow fast.
            Most of that riverbottom is blackland, so you'd probably waste your money on pines. If your neighbors catch you planting mesquites, you might get lynched. The best thing to do IMO, besides calling the county agent's office, is to look around that area & see what's already growing there. I would bet live oak, post oak, pecan, and cedar.

Comment

pines will grow anywhere. and all those hardwoods your talking about will take 10 to 20 years to reach maturity. He's looking for fast growing cheap trees for cover.

Comment

I planted sawtooth oaks this last spring. I can't believe it but I still have about 80% survival, even in the worst drought on record. I am watering a little though. I bought mine as seedlings and they were pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
                  pines will grow anywhere. and all those hardwoods your talking about will take 10 to 20 years to reach maturity. He's looking for fast growing cheap trees for cover.
                  Sorry not looking for an argument here, but there's a reason you don't see many pines around here. Much of that area he's talking about is blackland soil with poor drainage and higher alkalinity. Slash pines would likely do very badly there. Though I see your point about the length of time it would take for the oaks to mature, I don't believe slash pines are the answer. I'd just hate to see him waste time & money on something that doesn't work. I recommend a soil test and a visit to the county agent.

Comment

Originally posted by texasruss View Post
                    Sorry not looking for an argument here, but there's a reason you don't see many pines around here. Much of that area he's talking about is blackland soil with poor drainage and higher alkalinity. Slash pines would likely do very badly there. Though I see your point about the length of time it would take for the oaks to mature, I don't believe slash pines are the answer. I'd just hate to see him waste time & money on something that doesn't work. I recommend a soil test and a visit to the county agent.
                    Go see or talk to the County agent for sure. He will tell you what will work. I have seen pines planted in the Montgomery, Al. "prairie gumbo" area grow like gangbusters for 10-15 years until the tap root runs into the layer of chalk. Then they turn yellow and are just worthless.

You are really doing all this for your children so take a long view but also plant a few faster growers and producers like sawtooths for wildlife. Deer like the sawtooth acorn but it is a little big for turkey. Plant furniture grade hardwoods etc. and your FIL will like what you are doing for his Grandchildren, so will your's. After you plant those flowers go drop the disk and plow up a row on the edge and plant partridge peas, iron peas or browntop for your smaller birds. You might be able to establish a couple of coveys of birds.

And most of all make it a family affair and keep a family journal of what you have done .

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Ive been sharing all this with my FIL and hes really impressed and excited about the improvements I will be making on the land. We have been looking on the net at the sawtooths and from your response and what we have read online this is definatley what were going with. He has even said he will have a second well dug more towards the back of the property to have a closer water source to our soon to be planted trees.

Comment

Sawtooth oaks!

Comment

Working...
                        X