protein question for the experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protein question for the experts.

i have been reading some of the other threads and didnt want to get off too far of their original questions.

so here is mine. we only have 150 acres. two fence lines are owned by a good guy who does not hunt really at all. another is rarely hunted and one side is hunted but by a pretty poor hunter judging from his set ups right on our fence.

if we are to feed protein, will we see the benefits? i know there is obviously the fact that our neighbors will certainly see the deer if they are out hunting, but since we are the only ones that really hunt, would you think its even worth it?

we already feed corn year round and plant food plots. we also leave a pretty large area for bedding and have two tanks and currently a flowing spring since the water table is up.

any feed back is appreciated.

Lee

Let me point out that I have never personally tried to impliment a feeding program on that small of acreage but here are my thoughts on your situation.

Having 150 acres as you said almost every deer is going to be traveling off of your property. This will make it extremly difficult to make the protein you would be feeding a substantial enough part of their diet to make a big impact. I think it would act more as an attractant to draw deer on to your property rather then a significant increase in the nutritional diet of your herd. That being said with the year round corn feeders and food plots you already have in place, I really don't think you would be getting very much bang for the buck by putting out a protein feeder. Will you see some benefits from it? Probably, but I don't think it would be enough to justify the cost.

Comment

Well I am no expert but I know alot of people put out protein feeders not necessarily for the herd but for the few that will grow up on it. I mean some people will put out a protein feeder keep it full and watch a buck grow up on it. I have even seen em pass out pictures to other hunters "dont shoot freddy, he is 3.5 year old 130 class". So I guess with 150 acres it is a gamble but like you said you have good neighbors on 3 sides. Decision is yours. Happy hunting.

Comment

I don't think you will see any "REAL" benefit from a feeding program. Like BIGGUN said "IT's a gamble", there is a chance. You will need to decide if it is an viable option financially speaking. I would keep pouring the corn and try to keep as many deer on your property as possible.

Comment

In my experience you are much better served with good spring plots than protein feeders since deer get the vast majority of their nutrition from forage. It seems that most folks plant fall plots but neglect to plant spring plots, which are much more important to deer in Texas. Unlike the frigid north, Summer is much rougher on deer here than Winter. You'll notice from your trail cams that your deer look fat and happy in January and poor in July/August. Just my .02...

br

Comment

Any protein is better than no protein. May act more like an attractant and all it takes is for that one deer to come by to take a bite when you are nearby. Dont know unless you give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
              Any protein is better than no protein. May act more like an attractant and all it takes is for that one deer to come by to take a bite when you are nearby. Dont know unless you give it a try.
              I'd say this. You just have to be prepared to watch / listen to your neighbor shoot your protien fed deer. But that's really no different than any other low fence place. For every deer that may leave your place, another is likely to be coming in from your neighbor. The better the food, the more likely they are to stay on your place.

Comment

Our place is just a mere 90 acres Dads place is 300 acres, and we are surrounded by hunters. Any time you are trying to benefit the deer herd, by protein, food plots, sanctuaries, water supply, or just minimal hunting pressure. You will see the results just maybe not in the time frame you are hoping.

Comment

I am no expert but I have a close friend that raises deer and gives me guidance on my 280 acres with one sided hunting pressure. His number one rule is no corn in the hot months. His reasoning is corn in a WTD creates body heat which they do not need that added stress in horn growing months. His answer protein and it benefits the fawn crop as the lactating does eat the protein as well. So for your situation I would suggest throwing protein instead of corn to keep the deer on your place and used to coming by. You will get some benefit and would also keep the food plots. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Huntin Addict View Post
                    Our place is just a mere 90 acres Dads place is 300 acres, and we are surrounded by hunters. Any time you are trying to benefit the deer herd, by protein, food plots, sanctuaries, water supply, or just minimal hunting pressure. You will see the results just maybe not in the time frame you are hoping.
                    Totally agree and last year we fed proteiN(RECORD rack) for the 1st time on my uncles 40 acres but we have a total of 200 acres. Our deer do look healthier and bigger. My uncles neighbor also started protein last year on his 220 acres.(14% cattle protein)...The deer flocked to both our feeders especially bucks during the summer. I know for a fact I saw less deer on the land I hunt and more on my uncles 40 acres this year. Most of the neighbors r now feeding some sort of protein(cottonseed, cottonseed meal, deer protein, cow protein). And we are all small land owners, most neighbors hunt but all are good about not shooting anything under 4.5, we just have one neighbor who will shoot anything.

Comment

thanks everyone. i was not planning on starting this this year and realize that if i do it will take several years to see the rewards. really just putting it out there and seeing what yall thought

Comment

We have been feeding protein on 125 acres in East Texas for 6 or so years and it DOES MAKE a DIFFERENCE! We have fairly heavy hunting around us, along with the typical ET poaching, and still have a better quality herd. We selectively harvest and, with the AR, our neighbors now have to which helps a lot. We have a very high fawn survival rate along with bigger, healthier deer across the board. Our bucks have gotten bigger each year.

We feed 16 - 20% protein year round, along with fall food plots which keeps the deer on our land. I know there is a risk of the neighbor shooting one of the big ones, but that is the risk. I feel that it is well worth it in the long run.

Comment

Exact same situation as Aggiebush...to me that one big buck surviving every 3-4 years that is shot on ur land is worth it

Comment

Here is a couple pics from my Dad's 46.4 acre place in southeast Montague Co. There are no "real" hunters around that I know of. We feed corn and protein year round. We also plant food plots. The terrain in pretty diverse for being such a small place...wet weather creeks as well. These bucks and more always come back to the protein. They chase does on ours and the surrounding properties for a while, then they come back. They are very nocturnal when hard horned...so does protein work...well, I would say that it does over time. I know it keeps 'em coming back!!!

Last edited by Skinny; 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Thats impressive hog dude!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X