Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow...I suck at predator control...any tips??...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow...I suck at predator control...any tips??...

I consider myself dang good at rattling bucks and calling in turkeys, but after owning a Burnham (old model) cassette/ megaphone player, predator mouth calls by Primos, Quaker Boy, Haydel and Burnham and most recently, a small handheld mP3 caller -- I've killed exactly zero coyotes, bobcats and foxes. This while calling in Frio and Gillespie Counties. Even tried #2 steel traps baited with Alpo (Premium Cuts!) and fresh trapped mice. They just end up digging it up and setting it to the side on the way to their free meal...Any advice?? Granted my efforts have been rather half-hearted, but perhaps an upgrade to a Foxpro or high-end caller??

if you're callin in the counties listed in your location, no wonder, cause the predator population isn't to high. the goat herders have kept the numbers down for yrs. I had a lease near Stonewall for yrs and only remember hearin a couple in 20yrs. the rancher said they pay a pro everytime they think there's a predator in the county.

Comment

What time of day are you going out? I have found that about 8-9 pm works the best for me.

Comment

as triple7 said, what time are you calling? i like to call at dusk and dawn. out of those, foxes are going to come in first, then yotes, then cats. the cats are the weariest of them all and can take up to an hour to come in. make sure you are at a good vantage point and stay really still until the last second. also make sure you are not doing the same call sequence everytime if it is not working. try different call intervals and sequences. in the am, i like to start calling about ten minutes before shooting light. where you can see movement, but not enough to really shoot unless you are looking through a scope. that usually produces my best scenarios. if you are already doing all of this, maybe hire a pro to come out.

Comment

Fritz - I can give you some pointers on trapping - I used to be a professional coyote trapper for the state back in the early 80's and they fine-tuned my fur trapping skills to a super-sharp edge. Fur trapping is one thing, predator control or I should say, depredation control is entirely different.

You are probably leaving too much scent around the trap site, traps have an odor on them, using the wrong bait, lure, scent for attraction and may not have your traps bedded properly and/or not blending them in with the surroundings.

If you're in Austin, let me know and I'd be glad to show you a few sets to make to catch coyotes, cats and fox...the other species will fall in as well since once you do everything right for the first 3, the other species are like calling folks for dinner!

Comment

Go to some of the trapping/predator calling websites and get some info on how to books.
            There's a lot of details that can go into your questions. But first is to not do it half-hearted especially trapping all you'll do is educate the critters and make life really miserable for yourself.

Comment

On the traps, if they're digging up the trap or just digging out the bait, the problem is the traps are stinky, or not bedded right, or placed in the wrong place relative to the bait.

On the calls, I'd bet it's the places you're set up, not the calls. You have to hunt where the varmints are, and you have to hunt where you can see them coming. Camo up and watch the wind.

Comment

Well, you might get lucky with a pre-recorded call (if you are in their area), but you definitely need to know what you are doing with the traps. Either way, you need to be able to read sign to know if you are hunting/trapping where there are predators. When you say you are baiting the traps . . . , I hope you are not using the bait on the trap pan. That is the first of many many lessons you need to learn. There is no way one can really start to learn from a thread such as this. Its best to get an experinced trapper to show you and explain some of the do's and don'ts -- and a "gubment" trapper is as good as it gets. Well, let me clarify -- an experienced gubment trapper is as good as its gets -- lol. I did run into a novice once who thought he knew everything, but after a few years of experience he eventually learned most of what he thought he knew early on.

Comment

This isn't exactly the prime time to call or trap predators considering all of the tasty baby bunnies, squirrells, lambs, etc. that are out there.

My best months of trapping and calling are when its COLD and food supplies are more limited.

You can still kill a few, but just not the #'s you can during the winter.

predatorsniper

Comment

Originally posted by predatorsniper View Post
                    This isn't exactly the prime time to call or trap predators considering all of the tasty baby bunnies, squirrells, lambs, etc. that are out there.

My best months of trapping and calling are when its COLD and food supplies are more limited.

You can still kill a few, but just not the #'s you can during the winter.

predatorsniper
                    ^^^^^this!!! Coyotes have full bellies this time of year, and I have found them to be less responsive to calling myself.

Comment

Kill em

Comment

This is a great time to call. Most pups are fending for themselves now and haven't heard many calls. This is when you call in multiples at a time. I kill over 100 a year. Anytime of the year is good for predator hunting. Common sense needs to be used though. Nothing is coming out in this 100 degree heat. Start your hunting at aroung 2am and hunt until 9am. I use both mouth calls and a Fox Pro. Just keep trying, remember it's a number game and not like TV. I adverage 1 coyote per 4 or 5 stands. PM me if you ever want to hook up.

Comment

Hey all. If anybody has any info on where i can find some public predator hunting in the TBR or near San Angelo that would be great. I'm a Wildlife Management student from wisconsin and I'm here for the summer for work. I'm looking for some guys who want to go bust some yotes and cats. I have an electric caller and an electric bunny decoy...seems i have missplaced my mouthcall...bummer. Since i'm new to the area it would be great to meet some like minded folks who can show me around and hunt with me. If anybody is looking for a hunting buddy let me know. Also I'm not sure on how to go about aquiering the proper permits or finding the regs. is rifle hunting allowed for coyotes in TBR? I'm willing to drive and meet people to get on some yotes if anybody not from the angelo area is interested

Comment

Working...
                          X