Protein Pellets from Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Pellets from Academy

Anybody have any experience with the protein pellets that Academy is selling ? They are being marketed under the Wildlife Innovations brand name; however, I am sure that they are not making the product. Some Texas Feed Mill probably just cut a deal with them to use their name. The feed is going for about $8.00 per bag.

I saw them sitting out side but didnt know it was that cheap, good deal if it is quality or even slightly better than corn.

Comment

Do you know if it was 40 or 50 pounds, or the % protein?

Comment

If I recall it is an 18% protein. I have called Wildlife Innovations trying to find out more detailed information. Unfortunately, they have not been very forthcoming with information or product labeling information. I have also requested the name of the Mill that is producing this material for them.

Comment

I bought some Purina Deer 20 protein pellets ( 20 % ) From Kerrville Ranch and Pet for 7.50 a 50 lb bag Monday. I am going to try that and see how the critters like it. BTW Corn was 6.35 for 50 lbs.

Comment

That is a great price on the Purina Antlermax. About the cheapest I have found it is $10.00 per bag at Owens in Childress.

Comment

Originally posted by Downwind View Post
              I bought some Purina Deer 20 protein pellets ( 20 % ) From Kerrville Ranch and Pet for 7.50 a 50 lb bag Monday. I am going to try that and see how the critters like it. BTW Corn was 6.35 for 50 lbs.

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
              That is a great price on the Purina Antlermax. About the cheapest I have found it is $10.00 per bag at Owens in Childress.

As a Purina Dealer, I'll 99% guarantee that the $7.50 price is not for AntlerMax Deer Pellets... If it is, I'll need to know the store name so I can buy some because that is below my cost...!

Purina has three basic deer pellets.... Good, Better, Best...!!!

AntlerMax 20 .. Top of the Line using By-pass Proteins and a different mineral package than other feeds in the line.

Purina Deer 20 .. Mid-grade that does not use bypass proteins and does not have the same mineral makeup as AntlerMax

and Country Acres Deer & Elk 16 - Economy line that you would need to keep loose mineral out with.

You can look on the tag on the end of the bag... on one corner of the tag, it will have a 5 digit number... 49801 is AntlerMax.... 21379 is Deer 20.

Comment

We feed mineral seperate and have used goat protien pellets that the deer eat just as well as the Purina. It's only 16% to 18% protien but seems to work well.

Comment

So AntlerM, do you think its worth the extra money to buy the antlermax to help with horns and body weight or do you think you could even see a difference? I'm curious to know as I am filling 3-3,000lb feeders on Tuesday at my lease, thanks.

Comment

We buy feed pellets for horse-cows or goats at local feed stores or even Sams. We pay around 7-8 bucks a 50 lb bag. it is 14 percent protein and the deer gobble it down. I keep out mineral blocks and pour rack up over the pellets also. We had two deer off our place score over 180 B&C this year and we have been doing this for years. I keep protein blocks out in case the feeders run out before we get to fill them. We have fed cottonseed before and liquid protein also. Messy and time consuming. This way has worked best for us so far. I have been told that deer can only assimilate so much protein anyhow. I know we fed 26-32 percent pellets at one point and the deer would regulate themselves and not eat quite as much-it seemed like.

Comment

AntlerMax it was Purina Deer 20 like I posted not antlermax like wellingtontx thought it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Downwind View Post
                        AntlerMax it was Purina Deer 20 like I posted not antlermax like wellingtontx thought it was.

Thanks for the clarification.

The point of my post was that they are clearly two different products with two different target markets....

Cadillac or Kia.... we have both if you want them.

Comment

I dont know about ACADEMY'S protein but I can bet it HAS to be cleaner than their corn!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerMax View Post
                            As a Purina Dealer, I'll 99% guarantee that the $7.50 price is not for AntlerMax Deer Pellets... If it is, I'll need to know the store name so I can buy some because that is below my cost...!

Purina has three basic deer pellets.... Good, Better, Best...!!!

AntlerMax 20 .. Top of the Line using By-pass Proteins and a different mineral package than other feeds in the line.

Purina Deer 20 .. Mid-grade that does not use bypass proteins and does not have the same mineral makeup as AntlerMax

and Country Acres Deer & Elk 16 - Economy line that you would need to keep loose mineral out with.

You can look on the tag on the end of the bag... on one corner of the tag, it will have a 5 digit number... 49801 is AntlerMax.... 21379 is Deer 20.

I am getting on a lease in San Saba and I am required to feed protein 9 months out of the year, January-September. With that being said, I was going to feed some sort of protein mixed with corn in a gravity feeder, but I am wondering is this antlermax a better route? The protein we priced was around $10/bag, so it isn't exactly cheap. How much does the antlermax run?

Comment

I'd love to give you a price, but I've had my hand spanked for pimping my store before.

I will say that the price in your post is a little above what it can be bought for in some Purina stores.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X