Magnus Stinger vs Single Bevel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got 1 maybe 2 dozen Magnus Stingers in 150 & 125 grain. Some are used and need sent back in.

I've been contemplating selling them or some of them and getting a 3 pk of 200 grain Masai.

Why?
    Why not?

What's your thoughts?

Magnus are Wicked blades, hard to true but they "Will Kill"
    Self sharpened with a file they are bad azz.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

Why?
      Why not?

What's your thoughts?
      Not a fan of aluminum ferrules on either one. For the price you’re gonna pay for Grizzlystik I’d recommend Iron Wills considering the warranty and durability aspect.

If you’re wanting to do a single bevel in a similar broadhead as the Massai, Crimson Talon cleavers are surprisingly good for the price. My buddy shot the 200gr version out of his crossbow in anticipation of shooting a nilgai. No such luck on that end but he did wind up killing a spike. Blood trail wasn’t great but most of the 2 blade heads tend to do that. Edge retention was okay, but on the pass through the bolt ate a lotta dirt. Wasn’t dull but wasn’t shaving sharp afterwards either. They’re made from Cr12MoV (which screams Chinese), but supposedly that’s a tool steel similar to D2. I’m not a metallurgist, but maybe others can chime in on that.

With the Magnus, the 150gr ferrule is a lot thicker and thus more durable than the 100gr and 125gr versions. The buzzcuts hold an edge better by design. I do like the fact that the Magnus are available with bleeders but the other problem you run into is that they thin the ferrule out to put in the bleeder creating a weak spot.

As to bending Magnus ferrules, I’ve had it happen as have several others on here. This is usually due to heavy bone. Mrpublic has a pic of a Magnus that a nilgai bull turned into an S shape.

The other thing that the Massai (and Crimson Talons) have going for it are 2 screws going through the ferrule so the blade is much less likely to shift inside the ferrule on hard impact.

If it matters, the owner of Magnus, Mike Sohm is a real salt of the earth guy. I had a chance to talk to him for an hour or so at NABA and if you call Magnus you can actually talk to him directly. Their warranty as mentioned is the least hassle in the industry. For the price they’re hard to beat, but they’re not perfect either.

Hopefully some of this is helpful!
      Last edited by Kirby86; 05-20-2023, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
        Not a fan of aluminum ferrules on either one. For the price you’re gonna pay for Grizzlystik I’d recommend Iron Wills considering the warranty and durability aspect.

If you’re wanting to do a single bevel in a similar broadhead as the Massai, Crimson Talon cleavers are surprisingly good for the price. My buddy shot the 200gr version out of his crossbow in anticipation of shooting a nilgai. No such luck on that end but he did wind up killing a spike. Blood trail wasn’t great but most of the 2 blade heads tend to do that. Edge retention was okay, but on the pass through the bolt ate a lotta dirt. Wasn’t dull but wasn’t shaving sharp afterwards either. They’re made from Cr12MoV (which screams Chinese), but supposedly that’s a tool steel similar to D2. I’m not a metallurgist, but maybe others can chime in on that.

With the Magnus, the 150gr ferrule is a lot thicker and thus more durable than the 100gr and 125gr versions. The buzzcuts hold an edge better by design. I do like the fact that the Magnus are available with bleeders but the other problem you run into is that they thin the ferrule out to put in the bleeder creating a weak spot.

As to bending Magnus ferrules, I’ve had it happen as have several others on here. This is usually due to heavy bone. Mrpublic has a pic of a Magnus that a nilgai bull turned into an S shape.

The other thing that the Massai (and Crimson Talons) have going for it are 2 screws going through the ferrule so the blade is much less likely to shift inside the ferrule on hard impact.

If it matters, the owner of Magnus, Mike Sohm is a real salt of the earth guy. I had a chance to talk to him for an hour or so at NABA and if you call Magnus you can actually talk to him directly. Their warranty as mentioned is the least hassle in the industry. For the price they’re hard to beat, but they’re not perfect either.

Hopefully some of this is helpful!
        Thank you for you reply

I like the shape of the Masai

I have had a couple of the Magnus bend on me, after passing through and hitting rocks. Rocks are hard on a lot of things.

I'll look into the Iron Wills and Crimson Talon.
        Last edited by Pushbutton2; 05-21-2023, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Imo the only advantage of the Masai is that it’s single bevel, since it’s curved it can kinda be a pain to sharpen. I’m a big fan of the Magnus, price and warranty can’t be beat

If you want the best. Iron will or even rms cutthroat

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
            Imo the only advantage of the Masai is that it’s single bevel, since it’s curved it can kinda be a pain to sharpen. I’m a big fan of the Magnus, price and warranty can’t be beat

If you want the best. Iron will or even rms cutthroat
            I'm liking the looks of the RMS Cutthroats.

You have any experience with them?
            Last edited by Pushbutton2; 05-21-2023, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              I'm liking the looks of the RMS Cutthroats.

You have any experience with them?
              Haven’t killed with them. But they shot good out to 30, it’s as far as I shot them. They are a really hard steel so I had a hard time sharpening them

Forgot to add. Kudupoints are a heck of a head for the price too

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                Haven’t killed with them. But they shot good out to 30, it’s as far as I shot them. They are a really hard steel so I had a hard time sharpening them

Forgot to add. Kudupoints are a heck of a head for the price too
                I watched their video on sharpening them. They were using sandpaper and a KME Broadhead adapter. Seemed pretty straightforward to me.
                How did you sharpen them?
                I only ask as I've never done it, tried too but it ended up duller.

I bought a Lansky Kit off here to use on my Magnus heads, but haven't tried it yet

Comment

I tried with a lansky, granted I tried it when I first started to learn how to sharpen stuff, but still can’t use a lansky to save my life.

I never could get them back sharp

Comment

I’ve bought several cutthroats but could never get them sharp.

I use the Kudu points and they sharpen up really easy.

Blood trails from a single bevel are poor by design.

I shoot stingers in my trad bows, along with wasp sharpshooters

Comment

If you want to go to a sharper, more durable version of a 4 blade CoC head without spending $100... Simmons Mako. After that... Iron Will... the Wide has been my go to for a couple of years for pigs at night.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                        I’ve bought several cutthroats but could never get them sharp.

I use the Kudu points and they sharpen up really easy.

Blood trails from a single bevel are poor by design.

I shoot stingers in my trad bows, along with wasp sharpshooters
                        I've heard that the Cutthroats are difficult to sharpen due to the hardness of the steel, what method of sharpening were you using? Considering picking some up for this season.

Comment

I picked up some 225 Grain Iron Will wides on the green screen.

Comment

Working...
                          X