Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are bow presses....

So Frickin expensive!?!

New to the compound game, and I don't like paying the local shop $30-$40 every time I want to tweak something with my bow. It seems like a bow press should be a $50 thing, but apparently I'm very wrong.

Does anyone use a DIY pipe clamp press on the newer past parallel limbs? Seems like you would just need to make sure the actual limb tips are taking the pressure, and the riser is strapped to the pipe clamp right?

Why would you want a cheap piece of equipment when working on some that costs a bunch of money and not to mention, could KILL you if improperly “tweaked” with!?!?!?

They are expensive because they don’t harm your equipment.

Comment

It's literally a slow, steady, straight line pressure though. Not rocket science.

Comment

[emoji2357]

Comment

I forgot the actual name of mine, but I use one of the bow medic presses. It’s slow, but does the job and doesn’t take up much space. It was around $50-60 five years ago.
          Last edited by MnM; 04-04-2023, 08:40 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

You need to find another bow shop if that's what they're charging you.

Comment

I think there's a few pieces to that puzzle. One is liability.... we live in a world where no matter how many warnings you give, if someone does something stupid with something you made... you're going to be out $. Second a lot of press stuff is patented, that drives the price up for the major players. A press is roughly half the price of a new bow new, but hold their value pretty well.

In terms of using a pipe-clamp .... not for me. I seriously considered it, but the downsides were really bad, and the upside was not terrific. If you're a welder you may have luck building your own prototyping on an existing design. The portable presses are reasonable for some bows, but sadly aren't universal. The Mathews Stay Afield System is actually a pretty cool perk for them.

Overall yep, they're expensive, but you get what you pay for. Before I looked at using a pipe clamp I'd look at the Synum press. It has a couple set of adapters for some bows, and is even listed as an approved press by some manufacturers. If you're dealing with bows with warranties using a non-approved press is grounds for voiding the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                It's literally a slow, steady, straight line pressure though. Not rocket science.
                Should be easy to make then.. But, the material will cost more than $50-60...

Disclaimer: I may not know anything

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                  Should be easy to make then.. But, the material will cost more than $50-60...

Disclaimer: I may not know anything
                  Well, that's why I'm asking if anyone actually uses one. I already have a pipe clamp in my garage.

Sounds like opinions are all over the map on this. I may look into the Synunm press as it looks to be quite portable.

Comment

You buy the bow from the shop that’s “tweeking”?

I get wanting to do the work in house (granted one knows what they are doing). It’s just a needed tool that makes working on the equipment safe and enjoyable. Nothing is fun about a pile of homemade junk that requires $200 worth of tools to adjust and scratches up your bow

Buy a good one and sell it when you want to and recoup some of your money

I used a ratchet strap and 2 ratchet extensions a month ago to rebuild a guys bow on a javelna hunt. Did it work?….. perfect! Was it efficient and fun…. Nope!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      You buy the bow from the shop that’s “tweeking”?

I get wanting to do the work in house (granted one knows what they are doing). It’s just a needed tool that makes working on the equipment safe and enjoyable. Nothing is fun about a pile of homemade junk that requires $200 worth of tools to adjust and scratches up your bow

Buy a good one and sell it when you want to and recoup some of your money

I used a ratchet strap and 2 ratchet extensions a month ago to rebuild a guys bow on a javelna hunt. Did it work?….. perfect! Was it efficient and fun…. Nope!
                      I did not buy the bow from the shop, and I don't think they charge an unfair price, given that fact. I am just well aware I will have to tweak this setup a couple more times at minimum before I'm happy with it. You make a good point about ease of use with the press. I'll definitely use it more if it's simple.

Comment

P M sent

Comment

LCA EZGreen is cheaper than buying a new bow!

I have a Nighthawk press. Its good in an emergency but otherwise its a total PITA. I only use it on crossbows that are far too narrow to work in the EZ Green.

There used to be a schematic for welding one DIY on AT. If you look for it you can find it but in the long run it winds up costing a lot in materials.

The bow medic stuff can be dicey depending on your limb angle.

Comment

I have used ratchet straps. Pulled the string back had someone stick padded rods through cams that rested against the limbs. But this was not on My Mathew bows.

Comment

Plenty of diy's out there easy to make only hard part is the press fingers

Comment

Working...
                              X