GoHunt vs onX phone app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoHunt vs onX phone app

Has anyone on here been able to compare the GoHunt app vs the onX? I've tried looking elsewhere and it seems like the GoHunt phone app has been anticipated, but is still new.

Right now I'm using onX. I'm happy with it, but GoHunt has been hitting me hard with ads, so it's got me curious everytime I see one.

Don't care for Go Hunt and prefer OnX. Tried twice and very clugy

Comment

I have HuntStand and OnX. I prefer HuntStand.

Comment

I'm trying to give the go hunt maps a chance, but OnX runs smoother and easier to navigate while in the field.

I'll say Gohunt computer maps is amazing. They have a lot more useful tools for e scouting places you've never been, and their 3D is realistic. On X 3D doesn't give a realistic perspective IMO. If you hunt in western states it helps a lot.. More Tx hunting I don't see a real value in Gohunt for you.

I use Gohunt for most online e scouting then export all my waypoints into OnX to use in the field.

Garmin Earthmate app is also handy and free. You just have to download on the maps you want instead of automatically being there. If sync with your inreach so it's helpful.
        Last edited by CrownKiller14; 10-31-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I have GoHunt, mostly b/c I already have their other subscription.

I used it pretty extensively to plan a Elk hunt this year. Used mobile app on the hunt as well. The desktop website and the app were smooth and worked fine.

My complaints, though I am not sure if OnX would be better or not:
          -There were times in the field where the location it pinged me at was off by 10-20 yards.
          -The road info was off a bit. Some trails it said were open to everything were closed to all but dirt bikes. Some trails that were more or less unmarked where actually major dirt roads accessible in full sized truck.

I haven't used OnX much, so honestly don't know if it would address my two issues with GoHunt. Overall, I will keep using GoHunt for now. It does about everything I want.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCountry101 View Post
            I have GoHunt, mostly b/c I already have their other subscription.

I used it pretty extensively to plan a Elk hunt this year. Used mobile app on the hunt as well. The desktop website and the app were smooth and worked fine.

My complaints, though I am not sure if OnX would be better or not:
            -There were times in the field where the location it pinged me at was off by 10-20 yards.
            -The road info was off a bit. Some trails it said were open to everything were closed to all but dirt bikes. Some trails that were more or less unmarked where actually major dirt roads accessible in full sized truck.

I haven't used OnX much, so honestly don't know if it would address my two issues with GoHunt. Overall, I will keep using GoHunt for now. It does about everything I want.

Roads are tricky, and can get you in trouble in some states. They may be accessible by truck, but that doesn't mean they are open for public use or closed only to certain vehicle types seasonally. OnX and GoHunt both are working off digitally cataloged roads, some roads that have been improved haven't been updated. Especially in states where they have a lot of wash outs and they just make a new road instead of fixing the old road.
            I agree it is frustrating when a road is indicated and you show up to a pig trail or vice versa.

Always try and find the most updated vehicle use map, most NF land they're posted online. BLM and state land can be tricky can vary place to place.
            Last edited by CrownKiller14; 10-31-2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I have used OnX for a long time, with zero complaints. I used GOHUNT this year for a high country muley hunt (elevation >12k). I am not as familiar with GH as ONX. The issue I experienced with GH was with offline maps.

1. When you are moving, your location is identified with a GPS point or a crosshair. I had issues toggling back and forth. I wanted to see a point, but sometimes saw the crosshair, which was hard to see.

2. Your GPS point location shows an arrow in the direction you are moving. Many times, in the field using offline maps, the arrow was pointing in the wrong direction.

Hopefully, I'm able to work these issues out, as I pay for GH membership, which enables me use of GH maps. I cancelled my ONX membership.

Comment

Working...
              X