No announcement yet.

What handheld release for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have made the full circle with releases. I started with a Carter Lucky wrist strap, went with a resistance, then thumb, then a hinge and now back to the Lucky and Scott Verge.
    The big difference now is I shoot my wrist strap almost like I do any of my handheld releases...

Meaning I wrap my middle finger around the trigger and anchor the exact same way I do with my handheld. That way I anchor the same and get the trigger away from that "punchy" finger. I still get the "surprise" shot, or I can get on the trigger if needed. I just like having a wrist strap release better for when I'm spot and stalk hunting.

Just another thought that might save someone some time and money.

Comment

Aj the Tp guru on here changed archery for me. Target panic gone for years! …. Took I think 10 minutes…. I really have no idea. I was asleep. Lol

I shoot a wise guy index set moderately heavy. I shot hinges, spikes whatever they made and within no time my brain would find a way to force the shot. Anything new: sight, release, anything and I could trick my brain for a few days and shoot amazing then the wheels would come off. Since his “audio” no more issues!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Aj the Tp guru on here changed archery for me. Target panic gone for years! …. Took I think 10 minutes…. I really have no idea. I was asleep. Lol

I shoot a wise guy index set moderately heavy. I shot hinges, spikes whatever they made and within no time my brain would find a way to force the shot. Anything new: sight, release, anything and I could trick my brain for a few days and shoot amazing then the wheels would come off. Since his “audio” no more issues!!!
        That's crazy and glad it worked for you! Is that guy still on TBH? Used to see him alot and now come to think of it I haven't seen him in a long while.
        I've been shooting more and have really started to settle back in and take good consistent shots for the most part. I think being weak and out of shooting shape was the biggest factor for me, but I'd still like to try a tension style release just to see how that goes.

Comment

At the moment, I like using a 2 finger hinge. It helps me to think about pulling with my middle finger. 3 finger hinges make me want to do weird stuff.

I also hunt with a Like Mike II, which is an incredible index release. It have the spring set pretty strong, wrap finger around it, and pull with my arm keeping finger still.

Comment

Originally posted by Burwabit View Post
            At the moment, I like using a 2 finger hinge. It helps me to think about pulling with my middle finger. 3 finger hinges make me want to do weird stuff.

I also hunt with a Like Mike II, which is an incredible index release. It have the spring set pretty strong, wrap finger around it, and pull with my arm keeping finger still.
            I agree

Comment

I’ve been using a Carter target 3 for hunting for 16 years. I have 3 of them so there’s always a spare in my pack. I have never dropped it, left it at home or in the truck or had any problems with it not being attached to my wrist. When I get in the blind I clip it in the string and that’s where it stays until I’m done. Back tension is important. I think of it like someone gently pulling on my elbow.

Comment

Carter wise choice or nock 2 it
                Ultraview and tru ball hinges

Shoot all of them in a rotation. Keeps me honest

Comment

Using a Stan Sigma. Just picked up a Carter Wise Choice as backup. Both 3 finger thumb releases. Haven’t gotten completely comfortable with Carter yet, but like it. I’ve found that shooting 10 - 20 arrows from 8 yards at a blank target just focusing on shot sequence helps me when I start punching triggers.

4 thirty minute lessons helped me more than any release I’ve tried.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by cram369 View Post
                      Using a Scott Sigma. Just picked up a Carter Wise Choice as backup. Both 3 finger thumb releases. Haven’t gotten completely comfortable with Carter yet, but like it. I’ve found that shooting 10 - 20 arrows from 8 yards at a blank target just focusing on shot sequence helps me when I start punching triggers.

4 thirty minute lessons helped me more than any release I’ve tried.

Good luck

Comment

Great info! I've been thinking of switching this off season. Was probably just go to the store and try them all out.

Comment

Originally posted by beads View Post
                          Great info! I've been thinking of switching this off season. Was probably just go to the store and try them all out.
                          That was my thought as well, but unfortunately the stores/shops around here have a very limited supply to choose from.

Comment

where are these lessons?

Comment

Most of the Carters (including NockOn variations) are pretty great. I've shot a few over the years and enjoyed them. I then moved on to a TruBall Goat just because the trigger is, to me, noticeably smoother than my Carters, and I wanted to try something different. Most recently I've moved to the UV Button. It has been my favorite to hunt with to this point. Silent hookup, easy travel/force adjustments, very very very comfortable to draw 70# all day with, and a top notch trigger.

Comment

First let's talk about the target panic.
                                Target panic is a mental problem although some symptoms of target panic can be due to bad form. The mechanics of the shot dictate the shot and when the sequence gets off (like a high draw shoulder causing freezing below the bull) this can cause the mental breakdown. MOST of the time a new release will not correct this without a good coach; it may for a short while, but it will creep back if the form or mental aspect isn't corrected.

Second, handheld releases. I have shot (and still do) both Carter and Tru Ball releases. Both models I shoot are out of production, but they build great releases. However, many other companies do as well. It's less about the company and more about how the release fits the shooter.

How many fingers? I like three and two finger releases myself, both of mine are three fingers. I shoot lighter poundage, less than 65 lbs, so I don't need the extra grip and I dislike the extra touching with the pinky. The more surface area on the release the more that can go wrong from my perspective.

Having said all that, I only use a wrist strap for hunting; I use the Like Mike II now but used the Like Mike for years and even tried the new Dudley Back Strap (wasn't for me). This series of release aid uses a double sear like the handheld releases, but it's a wrist strap. Also of not is that all wrist strap releases can be shot with back tension just like a handheld; which is how I shoot them. The main reason I use a wrist strap in the tree is that it needs to be strapped to me or it will end up on the ground.
                                Every.
                                Time.

Unfortunately most pro shops do not have a bunch of different handhelds to try. The best bet is to try friends and shoot theirs, or buy used, until you find a brand and model you like.

Comment

Working...
                                X