Saddle Hunting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
    Got to my spot at Hagerman today and set up my saddle. For the first time to do all four sticks, plus the platform, the sys hauler, it took an hour lol. I know it can be done much quicker, and it certainly is not a complaint. I somehow found a tree wider than me and since I am a sissy with heights, I wanted to make sure that I picked a biggun Actually its more a fear of falling than heights. I must say I felt VERY comfortable with the system and climbing it. I don't find it intimidating at all, I think it is perfect. Can't wait to get up tomorrow and kill something. I have a really great spot with lots of shooting lanes. I am on a dry on the side of a creek Bank, high enough to see clearly for a very long distance, but not so high that angles are awkward. I am less than 20 yards away from a mock scrape I set up in October that has been getting hit. All is good!!!really like the set up so far.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

7 hrs in the saddle and my hips and joints are finally starting to feel it a bit. I would consider that a success.

Comment

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Look what I found in my attic! Y’all are in the golden age of saddle hunting without even knowing it.

This was just 4 years ago when I DIY’d a sitdrag and a big game treestand harness.

It looks like Frankenstein trying to climb a tree.

What a time to be alive!

Good luck at Hag fellas!
        Last edited by Kirby86; 11-19-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I was in em today! Absolute monster about 8:00 and I picked wrong tree by feet….

Moved to “correct” tree in less than 10 minutes and seen 3 doe and hunted till a little after 12:00. Had to go in to dairy then back on platform at 3:00 till dark and seen what I’m assuming were same 3 doe 2 more times

10 hrs on platform and ZERO aches. My lone wolf still has a place for sure, but since I’ve hunted the same tree twice only once all season (and I’ll be moving that platform next) they are a game changer if you go after the deer! I can basically hunt any tree within reason

A @&$* big cedar tree this morning blocked my shot or I’d be tagged out and a Looonnnnggg story on a great buck
          Attached Files

Comment

How high you up the tree Low Fence?

Comment

That pic was probably 20’ish. I usually land in the 18’-22’ zone. I don’t like shooting above 25’

Comment

Tagged This one to read tomorrow at work

Comment

Liking the seat pad way better than the knee pads
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Death from Above; 11-25-2022, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    That pic was probably 20’ish. I usually land in the 18’-22’ zone. I don’t like shooting above 25’
                    Its getting to where 20’ isnt enough height at times. Gonna need to do something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                      Liking the seat pad way better than the knee pads
                      You can cut these in half to pack better since your knees only contact a small area. You can also attach them using one or two of the little 9" bungee cords with the metal wire hook ends. Open the hooks up a bit and sharpen the ends. Then you can just stretch them around the tree a bit and hook them in the bark. One less strap to deal with. Particularly useful on bigger trees.

Comment

Cheap addition that was come in handy on this trip, bone dry takes 2-3 minutes to set up. Seen several deer with it up
                        Attached Files

Comment

I figured I’d go ahead and give my update on how I like saddle hunting after spending about 16 hours in the saddle at Hagerman. At this point, it’s safe to say that if there is a tree big enough, I will most likely be in a saddle.
                          Some complaints that I heard about saddles: after a few hours it gets uncomfortable. I didn’t necessarily find that to be the case. I knew Hagerman would be an “all day hunt” so that’s what I had mentally prepared for. After about 8 hours in the saddle on day one, I did decide that I was starting to get uncomfortable. I was feeling it my hip joints. It was weird because I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten pain there, so it was new. I decided 8 hours was enough and that I could potentially move to another area to hunt in some brush. I wanted to rest my joints for another 8 hour sit the following day. That sit turned into 4 hours, and the following day another 4 hours or so.
                          My overall thoughts are that this is the stealthiest, most comfortable, easiest way to hunt once you trust your equipment. Yes, trust your equipment. By day 3, I was truly saddle hunting without fear. Beyond hunting, being the in saddle is relaxing. I could melt into the saddle and be guided by the wind, reminiscing of times when I was in a hammock. The gently swaying combined with the silence of everything but wind and the every-so-often rustling of leaves from deer made it an exceptionally relaxing experience.
                          The saddle I have is the Tethrd Menace. It fits me well, although I don’t have anything to compare it to. It was designed for the bigger guys. I felt it fit me just fine. I outfitted it with two saddle bags, one on each side and suspenders. I have all the 11 mm ropes and the rope man’s on each one. My sticks are the Hawk Helium 30”. For back support I did get the MVP. I’m happy with everything except the sticks. It’s not the size or the weight but the strength. I am a big boy and two of the steps are already bent. I heard of better sticks, so I’ll look into those. I am open to suggestions. I already reached out to Midway USA who referred me back to Hawk. We’ll see what happens.
                          Setting up for the first time was a bit of a pain It just took me longer than I thought. I did pick the Texas version of a redwood, so there’s that. I know I’ll get better with time. By my 2nd tree which was more of a climbing tree, I was quicker. Still slow, but I would say I cut the time in half. I do find myself a bit fearful given how long it takes me to set up and tear down the system of moving mid-hunt. I think I’ll just leave sticks up and get to/from my spot so I can get up the tree quickly in the am.
                          The only other time I’ve tried to get in a tree is was using a Summit Viper. Saddle hunting is so much better than that. It’s less convoluted, it’s simple, and I believe it provides you a better opportunity to shoot a deer.
                          During my Hagerman hunt I believe I saw about 10 deer from 30 to 75 yards or so. Not one knew I was there. Ever. The one doe I show was at 41 yards away. She never heard me, smelled me, saw me, nothing.
                          Which brings me to my next point… The first shot I ever took out of my saddle was at 41 yards. I was able to quickly and quietly grab my bow, range her twice, turn and get on the side of my platform and make a tight, long shot and I did it accurately. No, I wouldn’t recommend this shot, but I trust my set up and I felt comfortable with the shot. Given the circumstances with dogs in the area, last few hours of hunting, and the physical situation (broadside, not moving) was perfect, I took it and got the golden ticket. I say all these because it supports how comfortable you can be in a saddle. If you’re just hanging from the tree and using your legs to support a small amount of weight, your body can quickly adapt and adjust to get into a good shooting position.
                          That’s a lot to take in, but I wanted to give a good synopsis of a first timer in a saddle. Obviously if you can, find a tree and practice. I was limited on time so couldn’t get up in a tree. I practiced climbing and getting comfortable on my Elm, but wish I could have gotten up higher and shot some. It just didn’t work out. But, I felt the whole system is easy, comfortable and very forgiving. Anyone can do it.

Comment

Man. Guess it shows how active I’ve been on here lately. Didn’t know this thread existed! I’ve been in a saddle on my 4th season this year. Running a TX5 Reaper with 20” Beast Sticks and Predator platform. It’s just hard to beat the mobility of a saddle. I haven’t sat on the front side of a tree in quite a while and quite frankly, I think I’d feel like I was standing naked at the church house.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                              I figured I’d go ahead and give my update on how I like saddle hunting after spending about 16 hours in the saddle at Hagerman. At this point, it’s safe to say that if there is a tree big enough, I will most likely be in a saddle.
                              Some complaints that I heard about saddles: after a few hours it gets uncomfortable. I didn’t necessarily find that to be the case. I knew Hagerman would be an “all day hunt” so that’s what I had mentally prepared for. After about 8 hours in the saddle on day one, I did decide that I was starting to get uncomfortable. I was feeling it my hip joints. It was weird because I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten pain there, so it was new. I decided 8 hours was enough and that I could potentially move to another area to hunt in some brush. I wanted to rest my joints for another 8 hour sit the following day. That sit turned into 4 hours, and the following day another 4 hours or so.
                              My overall thoughts are that this is the stealthiest, most comfortable, easiest way to hunt once you trust your equipment. Yes, trust your equipment. By day 3, I was truly saddle hunting without fear. Beyond hunting, being the in saddle is relaxing. I could melt into the saddle and be guided by the wind, reminiscing of times when I was in a hammock. The gently swaying combined with the silence of everything but wind and the every-so-often rustling of leaves from deer made it an exceptionally relaxing experience.
                              The saddle I have is the Tethrd Menace. It fits me well, although I don’t have anything to compare it to. It was designed for the bigger guys. I felt it fit me just fine. I outfitted it with two saddle bags, one on each side and suspenders. I have all the 11 mm ropes and the rope man’s on each one. My sticks are the Hawk Helium 30”. For back support I did get the MVP. I’m happy with everything except the sticks. It’s not the size or the weight but the strength. I am a big boy and two of the steps are already bent. I heard of better sticks, so I’ll look into those. I am open to suggestions. I already reached out to Midway USA who referred me back to Hawk. We’ll see what happens.
                              Setting up for the first time was a bit of a pain It just took me longer than I thought. I did pick the Texas version of a redwood, so there’s that. I know I’ll get better with time. By my 2nd tree which was more of a climbing tree, I was quicker. Still slow, but I would say I cut the time in half. I do find myself a bit fearful given how long it takes me to set up and tear down the system of moving mid-hunt. I think I’ll just leave sticks up and get to/from my spot so I can get up the tree quickly in the am.
                              The only other time I’ve tried to get in a tree is was using a Summit Viper. Saddle hunting is so much better than that. It’s less convoluted, it’s simple, and I believe it provides you a better opportunity to shoot a deer.
                              During my Hagerman hunt I believe I saw about 10 deer from 30 to 75 yards or so. Not one knew I was there. Ever. The one doe I show was at 41 yards away. She never heard me, smelled me, saw me, nothing.
                              Which brings me to my next point… The first shot I ever took out of my saddle was at 41 yards. I was able to quickly and quietly grab my bow, range her twice, turn and get on the side of my platform and make a tight, long shot and I did it accurately. No, I wouldn’t recommend this shot, but I trust my set up and I felt comfortable with the shot. Given the circumstances with dogs in the area, last few hours of hunting, and the physical situation (broadside, not moving) was perfect, I took it and got the golden ticket. I say all these because it supports how comfortable you can be in a saddle. If you’re just hanging from the tree and using your legs to support a small amount of weight, your body can quickly adapt and adjust to get into a good shooting position.
                              That’s a lot to take in, but I wanted to give a good synopsis of a first timer in a saddle. Obviously if you can, find a tree and practice. I was limited on time so couldn’t get up in a tree. I practiced climbing and getting comfortable on my Elm, but wish I could have gotten up higher and shot some. It just didn’t work out. But, I felt the whole system is easy, comfortable and very forgiving. Anyone can do it.
                              Great recap. After having done it for a while, I will say that there is this thing called “saddle shape”. Things are awkward at first but a few sits in your body gets used to it and after 10+ sits, you’ve got yourself into “saddle shape”. It just becomes another natural way to be in a tree and your body adapts to it.

I’d highly suggest the beast sticks. They are light, strong, robust and grip trees like a vice grip. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. Toss the cam buckle straps and buy some 8mm static or accessory rope that is rated appropriately and make yourself some rope mods for attaching to the tree. Soooo much easier and faster than a cam buckle strap. Beast is actually running a sale right now. Here’s the link.

STICKS ARE SOLD INDIVIDUALLY (1 PK) ASSEMBLY REQUIRED Light weight, Quiet, Durable, and Ergonomic Beast Climbing Sticks are made with the mobile hunter in mind. Beast Climbing Sticks utilize multiple industry first designs. 24" height total height (22" between steps) 2 lbs with fastening strap 1.7 lbs without fastening strap No Moving Parts Antler ™ Foot Design Non-staggered In-line Stacking™ Design 9" Double Sided Angled Step™ Design Made from Aluminum and Delrin ® 300 lb weight rating All Sticks inlcude a fastening strap

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                Got this email today! There are soooo many small detail features in the original that are worth it…. All overshadowed by odd packaging and weight. This one might be the perfect platform

Probably get one and if it’s not will be another permanent set
                                How are you liking this new model compared to the Predator?

Comment

Working...
                                X