Pins and Sliders, what to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get a sight for a Mathews V3 31, 29" draw, 70 Lbs. Mainly hunting whitetails (spot and stalk/stands/blinds) but also want to be able to take an elk in Colorado in '22. Pretty new to this so all criticism is very welcome whether it be my thought process or ny choices.

I'm leaning toward multiple pins just for speed when an elk busts through the trees at 40 because I don't want to have to spin a dial when I could be shooting.

I'm leaning toward a 5 pin slider so if its outside 50-60 I can use the slider and get dialed in.

Other options would be a 5 pin or a 7 pin without the slider.

Not locked down to any brand but I'm liking the Axcel ones. In particular the AXCEL LANDSLYDE SLIDER SIGHT (5 PIN .010") for $445.
    Slightly cheaper option would be the Black Gold Ascent Verdict Assault for $362.

I'll pay what I need to for quality but don't really want to spend extra just for a particular name/brand.

Thanks for your criticism/suggestions!

7 pin gets pretty crowded, 5 is more doable. I run a 3 pin because I mostly hunt whitetail and that gets me to 50, and I can dial past that for hunting out west and have a less crowded view.

I have a Spott Hog Fast Eddie XL and also a CBE and like both and feel pretty durable. No experience with the other brands you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

5 pin slider would be max for me, I would go with a 3 pin slider or a double pin. I currently have a 3 pin cbe engage hybrid, losing those 2 extra pins helps clean up the sight picture. It’s not a single or double pin clean but it’s better than 5

Comment

I don’t want to have to slide anything

I’d go with a 5 pin. No slide. Pins for 20-60. First two pins would be 0.19 and the rest 0.10.

Spot Hogg Hogg It is what I have. Very well built.

Comment

Do not go 7 pin, imo. Been there and its crowded. Im now using a 3 pin on one bow and a single pin slider on another. I think the most I will ever go back to is a three pin slider. The single pin is so dang nice, but I understand your want for more pins on the elk hunt.

CBE is my slider and Spott Hogg for my fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks y'all!
            Settled on the Black Gold Ascent Verdict Assault, should be here Friday and hopefully I like it in person as much as I do in writing/pics/vids!

Comment

Congrats on the new sight! MBG’s are very nice. Ive owned one and my buddy shoots a single pin slider by them currently. Main thing here is make sure and set the sight up proper, including 3rd axis, otherwise you’ll be off down range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a Sword Jury Pro that I bought in 5 pin. With my bow’s speed, I had to take a pin out and run it as a 4 pin. I really enjoy the 4 pin. I have it set from 20-50, which is definitely enough for my max hunting distances. So now I can practice out to 100, dial it back down, lock it in, and hunt without touching it. Best of both worlds, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X