No announcement yet.

Extreme f.o.c or heavy arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, you can add the draw length and draw weight of the bow shooting the arrows? I think later down the road this information may be useful to the hunting community. I know it isn't necessary per se. Just curious is all

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Sure, youre welcome.

Don't overlook or cast aside test results, if they don't produce the results you want or expect. The one thing you didn't post was the speed or decreased speed as the arrow weight went up. Speed does matter.

Which would be great for demonstration purposes when comparing fractions of a second difference between 230 fps or a 280fps etc. Then showing an animals reaction when ducking both arrows how that could affect when shooting at an alert animal. Which gets complicated because the heavier arrow retains more speed as well through the shot versus the lighter faster arrow off the bow.

Then you need to measure the sound of the same 2 arrows coming off the bow and the part this can play in alerting an animal.

So many variables....

Comment

I’ve said this before, and will stand by it. Ashby’s tests don’t relate to compound bows. Testing mediums don’t relate to animals. Testing mediums always put friction on the shaft. There is very little shaft restriction when shooting an animal.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
          I’ve said this before, and will stand by it. Ashby’s tests don’t relate to compound bows. Testing mediums don’t relate to animals. Testing mediums always put friction on the shaft. There is very little shaft restriction when shooting an animal.
          Well rocky and enewman, develop some tests that do relate to compounds. You fellers seem to be the TBH pros in this area. It would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
            Which would be great for demonstration purposes when comparing fractions of a second difference between 230 fps or a 280fps etc. Then showing an animals reaction when ducking both arrows how that could affect when shooting at an alert animal. Which gets complicated because the heavier arrow retains more speed as well through the shot versus the lighter faster arrow off the bow.

Then you need to measure the sound of the same 2 arrows coming off the bow and the part this can play in alerting an animal.

So many variables....
            When it comes to variables, control what you can. Bows these days are so quiet and shoot faster at lower poundage, it helps in that aspect of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
              Yes you are correct. I made that a comment just about Ashby’s work is not for compounds.

Yes, targets are different. But when testing, as long as the test media has an equal retarding force it doesn't matter. You are comparing two different weights, and comparing different penetration into that media. Now I don’t think all targets are good. That is why you have to do a test on target.

We know that shooting a heavier arrow from same bow it will out penetrate. So, when shooting into a target if the heavy dosent out penetrate then that test media is no good.

I posted a paper above about a test in ballistic gel. The test did not follow what should happen. That means the gel is not a good test media.

I’m trying to use sand. Very little resistance. How do I know.because the 600gr arrow will stop in a target but will not stop in a box with 150lb of sand. Box is 28” from front to back.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                Well rocky and enewman, develop some tests that do relate to compounds. You fellers seem to be the TBH pros in this area. It would be interesting.
                Working on it. I’m no pro. Because if I was it would be so much easier, as people seem to always believe even if wrong, people with the word pro in front of there name.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  Working on it. I’m no pro. Because if I was it would be so much easier, as people seem to always believe even if wrong, people with the word pro in front of there name.
                  Looking forward to it.

Yeah, the word pro is over rated

Comment

Ranch Fairy Video on speed loss based on mass at 60 yards comparing 5 or so arrow weights

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                      Ranch Fairy Video on speed loss based on mass at 60 yards comparing 5 or so arrow weights

https://youtu.be/mj877sYO9lw
                      Yes, I’m looking at a trajectory chart now, looking at what a 5 yard +/- is. Problem it’s in a book and I can’t get a good picture.

It would take more time than it’s worth to Re do in excel. Plus I would have to get permission from Dave holt.

But I sure like the data he is doing. May have to break out my labradar and get some comparison numbers.

Comment

Working...
                      X