No announcement yet.

Too heavy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertix 29.5 inch draw 78 lbs .. the bow draws 30 inches on the draw board..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
      Vertix 29.5 inch draw 78 lbs .. the bow draws 30 inches on the draw board..

I’ll have to get my Full Throttle out & play with it now!! The last time I checked it, I was at 545gr @ 267fps at 64lbs & 29”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Arrows are like ladies. The heavier. The better.

Comment

the thing is that 1 ft per 3 grains stuff goes out the window too.. that arrow was still flying 254 fps.. my regular arrow which is 525 grains Flys 281 fps.. i don't normally shoot "heavy" arrows but i do experiment when im hunting a stand with a known distance.. speed of sound is 3 times faster than a bow, animals will jump the string no matter how fast your arrow is going..
          that is a smoking fast rig. Also have you ever chroned a 450ish grain arrow out of it?

And i will say that your bow is heavier than most people draw and your long draw also helps considerably. I bet most people shooting 640 grains are shooting quite a bit slower. Probably 220 or less just like the op.

Other than very heavy game or trad bows where speed is not an option, I am a firm believer in balance. But I am glad you are having good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
            I’ll have to get my Full Throttle out & play with it now!! The last time I checked it, I was at 545gr @ 267fps at 64lbs & 29”.

Not gonna lie that 78 lbs is pretty tough on the old shoulder. I enjoy shooting my bowtech at 73 much better.. the 80% mods on the vertix makes it feel like it doesn't have a valley. Dang near jerked my arm out of socket the other day..

Comment

I guess what i don't get with the very heavy arrow craze, is that i get perfect arrow flight, with coc broad heads I get through an through penetration, even with expandable i generally shoot through deer and I do it all with decent but not blazing velocity of about 280 fps and moderate arrow weight of about 450 grains. And i only draw 67 pounds. I will use the same rig for elk this fall and have no concerns. Anyway that is one of the things I like about archery, we can all do it like we like

Comment

for me there is but like hwy hunter said 30 yards and in you will be ok .. i prefer to stay about 270 ft a second for my bowtech that's a 500 grain arrow. For my mathews thats 550 .. any slower and the difference in 40 and 42 yards is too much for hunting
                What Mathews? Also dl and lbs? Looking at getting a new Mathews and wanted to be around 500 grain arrow. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post
                  What Mathews? Also dl and lbs? Looking at getting a new Mathews and wanted to be around 500 grain arrow. Just curious.
                  vertix 29.5 inch draw mods they draw about 1/2 long .. 78 lbs with the 80% mods.
                  There's not much back wall with the 80% mods..
                  Last edited by jds247; 07-11-2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                    that is a smoking fast rig. Also have you ever chroned a 450ish grain arrow out of it?

And i will say that your bow is heavier than most people draw and your long draw also helps considerably. I bet most people shooting 640 grains are shooting quite a bit slower. Probably 220 or less just like the op.

Other than very heavy game or trad bows where speed is not an option, I am a firm believer in balance. But I am glad you are having good results.
                    No not out of that bow.. i bet it would be in the 290s though.. i prefer to stay above 270 fps for hunting. I had a big boar coming to my feeder and I really wanted to try out the heavy arrow and magnus stinger on him . He never showed so i shot the smaller one.. my normal arrows are usually between 500 and 550 depending on the bow ..

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                      I did some shooting today. Here’s the #’s I came up with

742gr 200fps Ke 65.83 Mo .6583
                      663gr 212fps Ke 66.09 Mo .623
                      625gr 218fps Ke 65.88 Mo .604

Can you if you guys explain the difference in the #’s of the 742gr & the 625gr arrow? I’ve tried to figure it out but my head hurts now!!

I think I’m gonna go with the 625gr arrow since it’s 18fps faster & only losing .05 of momentum. Would that be a good choice??

Sorry we high jacked the thread.. the way I decided which arrows I want to shoot is I sighted my bow in at 20 yards then stepped back a yard at a time shooting the same pin . This will tell you how much drop per yard it changes.. i personally didn't want 2 yards at 30 to mean a miss or bad shot.. but i do a good bit of spot and stalk .. the arrow speed will never beat a deers reflexes..
                      I'm constantly tinkering and trying to learn .. I've changed setups several times.

Did one of the arrows shoot better than the others? If all the same I would just shoot them while you are practicing and see if one sticks out more than the other in terms of how they shoot..
                      Last edited by jds247; 07-11-2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Not gonna lie that 78 lbs is pretty tough on the old shoulder. I enjoy shooting my bowtech at 73 much better.. the 80% mods on the vertix makes it feel like it doesn't have a valley. Dang near jerked my arm out of socket the other day..
                        Shoulder surgery sux.
                        Drop to 60 so you can enjoy archery longer.
                        My kill ratio has not suffered going from 73 to 55#
                        Heck I killed a pig with 30# about half way through my rehab

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                          Shoulder surgery sux.
                          Drop to 60 so you can enjoy archery longer.
                          My kill ratio has not suffered going from 73 to 55#
                          Heck I killed a pig with 30# about half way through my rehab
                          I've been thinking about it.. one thing that has really helped is moving away from the wrist strap release.. the draw cycle feels a lot different with the hand held release.. i don't know if it uses more muscles in the arm or what.. but theres no more sore shoulder after shooting..

Comment

Finished getting arrows together. Ended up with Xt Hunter shaft 30 7/8”, 100gr insert, 100gr Fact weight, 100gr German Kentic. 624gr, 21% foc, 218fps, 65.8Ke & .604Mo. 60lb Elite Victory X.

Had to do some nock tuning one it was about 2” to the right. Got it within 1/2” & then started turn the point. Got the 1/2” out it & arrow flight is great. Now I just got to start over & with broadhead tuning.

With setup I’m getting around 12” of drop from 20 to 30 yards. So I set my pins at 20,25 & 30. Most of the shot in my area are in the 20-25 range.

Comment

Here are 3 arrow options I was experimenting with last weekend:

Option 1: 446 grain arrow, 300 FPS, 89.1 KE, .59 ME
                              Option 2: 513 grain arrow, 279 FPS, 88.6 KE, .63 ME
                              Option 3: 661 grain arrow, 247 FPS, 89.5 KE, .72 ME (4 vain setup).

I did build an option 4 that was around 556 that I have not chronographed yet, but it tuned super easy. Ill probably go with this one being around 270FPS. I will use this arrow for even western style spot and stalk mule deer hunting (long shots).

All of these builds were with blank Spartans different inserts. Bow specs: VXR 31.5, 82lbs, 29.5. Ill make 6 arrows of the 556 option, practice a lot, and start shooting 70-80 yards, and in between yardage. If the trajectory is to steep, then I will lighten the arrow.

Comment

Looks like some good options. I bet you will like option 2 when its all said and done if hunting with over 40 yard shots..

Comment

Working...
                                X