First arrow build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
    Two blade heads almost always out penetrate a three or four blade head, it’s just the physics. How they fly is completely contingent on the proper arrow, the design itself and lastly the tune on the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks MuddyFuzzy. Guess I get to report back with some results!

Comment

Everything has been ordered. It's tough to come in and reach 650. I could do it with bigger broadheads... but I really like the reviews on the Annihilators. It's nice to know I am going to be coming in at 620 gr, and by simply moving from a 125 to a 150 and change to an aluminock, I reach my goal. BTW - how much of a difference is going from a 7 gr nock to a 20 gr nock really going to make? I feel like that's just getting way too nit-picky...

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        Everything has been ordered. It's tough to come in and reach 650. I could do it with bigger broadheads... but I really like the reviews on the Annihilators. It's nice to know I am going to be coming in at 620 gr, and by simply moving from a 125 to a 150 and change to an aluminock, I reach my goal. BTW - how much of a difference is going from a 7 gr nock to a 20 gr nock really going to make? I feel like that's just getting way too nit-picky...
        With arrow builds usually its the sum of many small changes, rarely one big change that sets them apart. A lot of guys will steer clear of anything that adds weight to the back of the arrow, as it does lower FOC. FoC is a rabbit hole that is deep as you want to go as seen above. There is definitely a minimum, but past that kinda depends on what you want. Many ways to skin the cat in terms of building your rig to do what you want to do.

Comment

First arrow build

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post

Getting north of 600 can be a challenging endeavor, try going up to 800+ without using a heavy shaft like a FMJ..... it gets real interesting. If the goal is to reach 600 plus with EFOC then one really has to start looking at heads. Adding insert weight behind the broadhead does not effect FOC like it does when it is added in front of the insert. Going up 50 grains in tip weight will increase FOC greater than simply adding 50 grains of insert weight. The problem lies in that there are probably about 75% less products offered in 150-175 grain and even fewer 200+. That’s not cool for some folks, it is what it is. My personal stuff is 625 @ 25% with a 300 Deep Impact, 68 grain Stainless Outsert and the 225 grain Helix. I didn’t set out to build to those specs, it was simply a function knowing how long I wanted my arrow to be and adding weight up front until the spine turned out great. Don’t get too wrapped up in numbers, focus on building the best total arrow you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ethics Archery spinning inserts have been installed... Put on arrow wraps yesterday as well. Ran into a small problem, the 15gr washers won't allow the broadheads to reach the threads, so I will be down 15 gr when I go to hunt with these arrows. I don't think it would be the biggest deal in the world... I could quickly resight my bow before a hunt. I wish that were different but oh well.

I am about to put on the fletchings. I went with a 4-fletch, 2.5" Bohning Heat vanes. I bought a right fletch as I was initally going to have feathers, but changed my mind after a bit more research. Can I use the fletching jig with a right clamp on the vanes?

Last question... I nocked a few yesterday and 5 of 6 attempts, the arrow un-nocked itself... frustrating! This is the nocks that were sent with the shafts... Should I upgrade nocks? I was planning on hunting with lumunocks anyway... just didn't want to have to pull them out every time I practice... The last black eagles I had, I had no issues...

Comment

Came in at 625.22 grains + glue on fletchings and inserts. Maybe 630 total? 17.8% FOC. 109 ft-lbs of KE at 280 fps. I have no idea what I would be at at fps, but my bow is rated for 344 at 30" draw and 80 lbs. I am pulling 70 and drawing at 28.5"... Anyway. It's been a fun adventure.

Comment

Working...
              X