Whisker Biscuit or Drop Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
    I guess my ears are worn out and I have not noticed any noise from my WB. Not saying there isn't any. I appreciate all the info shared!
    Trust me, when an arrow slides across them metal rest on drop aways, it makes noise. Some are rubber coated so they are quiet. I do not have any noticeable noise from my WB or not that the deer notice. WB are about as fool proof as you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
      Accuracy. I am not and will not say WB is not accurate. However, when an arrow is practically untouched outside of the air it is traveling through, you can say factually that is is more accurate than an arrow that is being put through a small amount of stress going through a whisker biscuit. I know it is designed to go through it, but a small amount of force is still being applied, making it less accurate (not to be confused with inaccurate) than a drop away.
      How can you say "factually" that a WB is less accurate?

Have you actually done a controlled study?

I have owned & used a drop away and a WB and I have seen no difference in accuracy.

Since we are hypothesizing our "facts", my facts say the bristles in a WB act like barrel rifling and actually make a WB MORE accurate.

Comment

<-- Drop away crowd.

I've had both. I think the Drop away is more accurate. If the WB isn't set up exactly perfect, it *COULD* deflect the shot one way or another. Or if your fletching isn't perfect, it could exaggerate the defection also. The oscillation of the arrow shaft when launched could cause the fletching to interact with the WB at an odd angle also, causing it to defect.

Notice I said COULD. (But at the distances most people hunt, you probably wouldn't notice it.).

I do everything to make my bow more quiet. I prefer drop aways and haven't had one fail *yet*. (I don't ever say absolutes)

Comment

I’m like Rocky. I build my own arrows, and have never had an issue with a WB “tearing up vanes”. Good quality vanes such as 2” Bohning Blazers, etc. Now I have seen it make the edges look like bacon on those cheaper 4” rubbery type vanes that come on some pre made cheaper arrows. But that’s the only time I’ve seen any vane damage. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Went from a WB to a rip cord never going back. I love the RC and have never had a problem with it in the 5 years I have shot that style.

Comment

I put a whisker biscuit on my Mathews Outback when I bought it in 2004 and it has been great. It does make a little noise when you draw but I've killed plenty of animals and it's never been loud enough to spook them. If I'm forced to by a new bow some day, I might consider a fancy fall away rest.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                How can you say "factually" that a WB is less accurate?

Have you actually done a controlled study?

I have owned & used a drop away and a WB and I have seen no difference in accuracy.

Since we are hypothesizing our "facts", my facts say the bristles in a WB act like barrel rifling and actually make a WB MORE accurate.
                Oh boy, what did I saw in May that's getting me in trouble now? :P

I'm basing this off physics. Upon the release of the string, a WB applies more forces to the arrow than a drop away which leaves the arrow untouched. An untouched arrow will go exactly as intended...A WB will apply different forces to the arrow, making that arrow less accurate.

But like I said earlier, I'm not saying a WB is not accurate. I am just saying that with less forces applied to the arrow, the drop away is more accurate. The difference in accuracy is probably minute. But doesn't mean there is no difference.

I'd be happy to see any other studies done that dispute my assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                  Oh boy, what did I saw in May that's getting me in trouble now? :P
                  It took me 6 months to form my rebuttal.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                    It took me 6 months to form my rebuttal.
                    Hahaha

Comment

Maybe it doesn't affect accuracy enough at 20 yds, but you don't see any serious western archery guys using WB's for their 80 yd elk shots.

Comment

I have used both. The WB worked great for me for years. When I bought my last bow I put a fall away rest on it and have been mostly happy. My only problem with a fall away is I get such an adrenalin rush when I see a shooter(any legal deer)I have shaken my arrow off the platform. When I buy another bow I will probably go back to a WB. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                          Maybe it doesn't affect accuracy enough at 20 yds, but you don't see any serious western archery guys using WB's for their 80 yd elk
                          Yes myself and lots of others I know who hunt out west every year and kill to 80. Also practice with drop away guys out to 100 with no noticeable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                            Yes myself and lots of others I know who hunt out west every year and kill to 80. Also practice with drop away guys out to 100 with no noticeable difference.
                            Interesting. Do you use 3 or 4 fletch? Vanes or feathers? A lot of FOC or normal?

I'm genuinely curious..not trying to make a point.

Comment

3 blazer vanes with 100 grain head. We use Beman ICS Hunter and the black Easton Axis arrows(smooth finish on both of those arrows). I think the WB is definitely the superior rest for out west for several reasons already mentioned.

Comment

I was using a qad drop away but kept having tuning issues the rest would flip back up and hit my vanes so I finally got sick and tired of it and installed a wb that I had in my old archery box been using it all month with great results I only shoot to 40 yards while hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X