Why wont my BHs fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why wont my BHs fly

Reign 6, 29" draw, 73#s, gold tip hunter xt 250s, arrows cut to 29", 100 grain brass insert, 100 grain points.

It is putting a bullet hole through paper. Checked and confirmed no fletch contact. BHs hit about an inch left at 20, 2 inches left at 30, and about 4 left at 40. But point of impact seems to wander a bit at 40. Im more than competent enough at shooting that i know the variance at 40 is not me. BHs hitting left should mean a stiff spine. But i seem to be right where im supposed to be on the GT spine chart. Played with moving rest in both directions and that didnt help. Fletched up a full length 32" shaft and tried it. No change.

Guess i should mention im shooting vpa 100 grain solid 3 blades.

Thoughts? Im stumped.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

And yes they spin true.

Comment

Why don’t you try a 125 grain BH to even it out since it’s showing stiff. Or, maybe your inserts are bad as you’re shooting a heavy draw weight bow and when arrows hit down range at the target the insertS get bent after repeated shots.

I would increase BH weight first and see how they fly.

Sometimes (often) field points and certain BH’s don’t fly the same so try different BH brands. I’ve had excellent results with plain old Muzzy 3 blades and they fly great too.

Good luck.

Comment

What bh are you using ? Some BH shoot better than others. Try out Ramcat, Exodus, Slick Trick Viper. These have all shot well for me

Comment

What does a bare shaft do?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
            What does a bare shaft do?
            The only bare shaft i tried was a full length one but it hits dead center at 20 with nock in line. At 30, point hits dead center and nock is left.

I currently refuse to just try another head. These are the heads i want to shoot and there is no reason why they shouldnt fly as good as anything else. They are machined out of a solid piece of steel. I did shoot a 4 blade wacem i have that is 125 grains. Same result but slightly less severe. I assume due to venting.

3 extra inches of arrow should have much more impact on spine than adding 25 grains to point.

Im running trypans until i get it figured out.

Comment

Sounds like if you aren’t will to change heads then you are stuck with those results. If the broad heads fly bad try a different brand.

Comment

I will also add that i had my wife film arrow flight with super slow motion mode on my phone. Arrow with broadhead is flexing back and forth pretty heavily all the way to target at 20 yards. Any idea if that is normal? I thought all that stopped after about 5 yards.

Comment

I had the same issue with some Buzzcuts. They were 4” left. I moved rest to split the difference but didn’t want to move it completely over because I shoot field points every day and they would have been way off. I wasn’t confident in the setup for distance and went back to my 100gr Rage and setup which was flying perfectly. I shot a small hog at 43 yards. I really wanted to shoot a fixed blade but have given up on it for this season.

Sounds like you’ve checked most of the boxes.

Comment

Are you under spined with the 250 at 73lbs & 29" draw?

Comment

Double triple check your rest timing I had a similar issue turns out the rest was making contact sometimes and effecting down range BH performance.

Swapped out rest now I’m back to shooting good out to 50 with fixed/mechanical/FP.

Comment

What does it look like on a draw board.
                        What release aid are your shooting?

Comment

Needs to be yoke tuned, possibly

That cam system isn’t meant to be shot with rest out of center. The yoke is how you move left to right

What fletching configuration you using?
                          Last edited by Low Fence; 10-24-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

So I shoot almost the same set up.
                            Reign 7 29in 73 lbs gold tip hunter 300spine 50grain insert 100grain head.
                            My buddy shoots same bow and set up with 100grain brass insert.
                            I shoot the wacem 3 blade.
                            I’m a long range guy and my sight tape stretches out to 120. My BH,FP shoot the same from 20-120.
                            My buddy shoots the same from 20-100

First I’d set center shot, then I’ll start at zero cam lean.. and set my timing. Then when you work to paper tuneing I only shoot BARESHAFT through paper. Fletching are just an aid. So if it shoots bullets with bareshaft its gunna shoot bullets with fletchings. All my paper tuning comes out of my yokes. That bow needs to be tuned through the yokes..
                            even with your stiffer spine I still think there is a tuning error somewhere.
                            If your ever In northwest fortworth. I’d be more then happy to go through it and look at it. Or even let ya shoot my arrows and see if it’s spine issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can assure you it’s not a stiff issue. As others have said, it is a centershot or yoke issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X