No announcement yet.

Arrow Speed vs. Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never worried about speed my self.. I'm shooting a halon 30" 60# with nugent gold tips.. not sure how fast it shoots..

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
      Your speed and arrow weight match up with post #2 but that's a 70# bow

Here's a calculator: https://www.realtree.com/kinetic-ene...tum-calculator

65ke is good for a lot of game. I have zero chance of hunting Moose, Grizzly or Elk.

What compelled me to start shooting a 50# bow was age, shoulder pain and bowhunters my age and older still taking big game with bows lower weight than mine(at the time 68#.) Not just deer but Elk, Moose, Caribou, etc. So I committed, bought a Mathews Creed, 50# and I learned it shoots just as fast as my older "more powerful" bow.
      I haven't looked back. Thought I was done bowhunting due to the pain.

So yeah 65ke is plenty.

Comment

Your speed and arrow weight match up with post #2 but that's a 70# bow

Here's a calculator: https://www.realtree.com/kinetic-ene...tum-calculator
        Thanx....handy little tool.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          65ke is good for a lot of game. I have zero chance of hunting Moose, Grizzly or Elk.

What compelled me to start shooting a 50# bow was age, shoulder pain and bowhunters my age and older still taking big game with bows lower weight than mine(at the time 68#.) Not just deer but Elk, Moose, Caribou, etc. So I committed, bought a Mathews Creed, 50# and I learned it shoots just as fast as my older "more powerful" bow.
          I haven't looked back. Thought I was done bowhunting due to the pain.

So yeah 65ke is plenty.
          I was simply noting that your 50# bow does what my 70# bow does (Mathews Z2).

Comment

I was simply noting that your 50# bow does what my 70# bow does (Mathews Z2).
            Yessir, I was doing the same. I have been shooting a Mathews Legacy till about 4 years ago when I went to the Creed. Man! The efficientcy of todays bows are phenominal.

The heavy arrow has merit, but where I hunt, the trajectory needs to be as flat as possible.

Comment

Yessir, I was doing the same. I have been shooting a Mathews Legacy till about 4 years ago when I went to the Creed. Man! The efficientcy of todays bows are phenominal.

The heavy arrow has merit, but where I hunt, the trajectory needs to be as flat as possible.
              I think there’s several that don’t think your numbers are correct. Even I didn’t realize the Creed was super speedy bow. I wish you would check poundage, arrow weight, and DL again to verify. Those are super numbers at 28-50. I don’t know of many 28-60 bows that are capable of those numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                I'm shooting an Elite E35 29" DL 70 lbs.

530 grain arrow, including 125 grain broadhead.

259 FPS

I'm thinking my arrow is a touch heavy and considering going to a 100 grain broadhead to get a bump in speed.

Thoughts and opinions on this, will the 25 grains make that much of a difference?

Thanks.
                Why do u want to bump up the speed?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                  I think there’s several that don’t think your numbers are correct. Even I didn’t realize the Creed was super speedy bow. I wish you would check poundage, arrow weight, and DL again to verify. Those are super numbers at 28-50. I don’t know of many 28-60 bows that are capable of those numbers.
                  I build my own arrows, weight is written on ea arrow. Chrono-ed my arrow speed. I am 28.5" draw length, bow is 28" with a loop. Now, I have not checked the draw weight, just accepting what is displayed on the limbs, so it could be a little over or a little under. I just know its easy to draw and just as fast as my Legacy.

Comment

I build my own arrows, weight is written on ea arrow. Chrono-ed my arrow speed. I am 28.5" draw length, bow is 28" with a loop. Now, I have not checked the draw weight, just accepting what is displayed on the limbs, so it could be a little over or a little under. I just know its easy to draw and just as fast as my Legacy.
                    Math doesn’t work. There’s no way a 50 lb Creed at 28” DL hits 286 fps with a 368 grain arrow.

Comment

Math doesn’t work. There’s no way a 50 lb Creed at 28” DL hits 286 fps with a 368 grain arrow.
                      If that bow is drawing 1/2 long. meaning using a 28” mod but drawing 28.5 which can be easy for a Mathews. Using say a 8gr peep and 4gr loop.

Bow set to 50lbs the very best that bow can do is 262fps.

If bow was at 60lbs you might get 282fps. This will be at best.

This is what I come up with. All based off of 328 ibo number

Comment

Ok

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                          If that bow is drawing 1/2 long. meaning using a 28” mod but drawing 28.5 which can be easy for a Mathews. Using say a 8gr peep and 4gr loop.

Bow set to 50lbs the very best that bow can do is 262fps.

If bow was at 60lbs you might get 282fps. This will be at best.

This is what I come up with. All based off of 328 ibo number
                          Just quick math I can’t get it out of the mid 250’s @ 50#.... but I’ve been wrong before.

In the 280’s..... not at those specs. Something is unintentionally off I’d bet.... but I’ve been wrong before

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            Just quick math I can’t get it out of the mid 250’s @ 50#.... but I’ve been wrong before.

In the 280’s..... not at those specs. Something is unintentionally off I’d bet.... but I’ve been wrong before
                            Maybe I did something wrong. Cause I still thought my numbers where to high.

Comment

I may have to stop shooting adult arrows..I keep blowing through the target with my 560gr Day Six 300 spines.

#heavyarrowproblems
                              Attached Files

Comment

Maybe chrono is messed up. I was shooting some arrows the other day & my Full Throttle magically started shooting a 501gr arrow at 322fps. 😎😎😎
                                It maybe time for me to get a new chrono.

Comment

Working...
                                X