Spine indexing?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rat View Post
    It is overboard for a lot of shooters; especially if you never shoot past 30-40 yards.

But when you are trying to get three arrows into the black at 90 meters it matters greatly. That's not to say everyone can't benefit from these exercises, but there is a point of diminishing returns for someone who isn't shooting long distances. And if you are competing (in field, 3D, Outdoor, Indoor etc.) and not doing these things you are at a great disadvantage.

To each their own I say.
    Understood. I'm not knocking y'all at all. Hopefully it didn't come across that way. I don't shoot competively or anything like that, and I'm cool with keeping my hunting shots under 40 - 50 yards, so it's just not my thing.

Now, that being said, I actually learned quite a bit reading about spine and nock indexing here, so for that I thank you and enewman

Comment

Wow took off quickly, what is the best tool to index? What if your form isn't good enough to index through paper, a RAM is crude at best (just testing beam theory for deflection). Some say squeeze it with a press to compression test, too many variables when squishing arrow together to get arrows matched same dynamically. On compounds we dont have to worry about archers paradox, so is dynamic spine (stiffness and weakness) and how each arrow flexes instantaneously that important?

Comment

There's float testing as mentioned, to many variables there, residual bend in the shaft messes with the natural buoyancy of the shaft. Some arrows have "seam" due to certain manufacturing processes we can't tune our arrows to that either (seam is not consistent through the whole shaft)

Comment

I just roll the arrow with some bend on it over a glass plate and feel for the stiff spot and mark it

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
            I just roll the arrow with some bend on it over a glass plate and feel for the stiff spot and mark it
            Are you finding the actual stiff spot or just a slight bend in the shaft, there are flex board tools that have been used but are very crude also, they use weight scales or digital reading scales to determine which point gives them the least amount of flex. But then again how do you know that arrow is in the dynamic sweet spot?

Comment

I do it just like I spine my fishing rods when I build them. You roll it while applying a bend to the arrow and feel for a bump

Comment

Fishing rods and arrows are completely different, you cannot align the spine of an arrow like you can the spline of a fishing rod, fishing rods are more of an oval shape, unlike an arrow which is actual circular, spine of an arrow shaft is 360 degrees around the arrow shaft.

Comment

Etcbuckman

I know I go overboard. But I want the best out of my rig as I can possibly shoot.

I also do this so I can help and answer questions. Just like Rat. He has a lot of knowledge. And is willing to share. The only way to get this knowledge is to do it. It's like tech support. You don't have to know everything about what you work on. You just got to know how to find the person that does.

Then I do this to help me relieve stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Etheis View Post
                    Fishing rods and arrows are completely different, you cannot align the spine of an arrow like you can the spline of a fishing rod, fishing rods are more of an oval shape, unlike an arrow which is actual circular, spine of an arrow shaft is 360 degrees around the arrow shaft.
                    Actually they are built the exact same. You can do the same thing with gold club shafts although it's much harder. And no fishing rod blanks are not oval shaped. They are round if you pay for the better ones. I build high dollar fly rods as a side job, and I know how carbon/graphite tubes are built

Comment

Actually they are built the exact same. You can do the same thing with gold club shafts although it's much harder. And no fishing rod blanks are not oval shaped. They are round if you pay for the better ones. I build high dollar fly rods as a side job, and I know how carbon/graphite tubes are built
                      So you are telling me after you do this to your arrow shafts they all act the same dynamically? They all FLO the same? And they all freq the same? They are not the same both clubs and fishing poles taper, not all arrows taper most common arrows do not taper

Comment

I didn't say they taper but the building process is the same. I did some a while back, and sent them to southshore to be reflected my spine marks were almost directly in line with his which he does with a spine checker. You are looking for the point that the scrim (sheets of graphite fibers) that make up carbon arrows or fishing rods (god forbid) overlap forming a slightly more stiff spot than the rest of the arrow. It's hard to feel on a 300 spine arrow but can be done if you know what you are feeling for

Comment

The thing is not all arrows have this seem you speak of, I didn't say they weren't built similarly ive been to Easton and have seen the process they use. You can't tune to the seam because it's not consistent throughout the whole shaft especially .006 the forces applied are also completely different. There's not a test out there that is 100% other than shooting and turning nocks the bend in the shaft doesn't always allow for even the arrows I test to all match the same. I use a frequency analyzer. Not trying to come off as ignorant at all just like healthy debates that's how we all learn

Comment

I do it just like I spine my fishing rods when I build them. You roll it while applying a bend to the arrow and feel for a bump
                            Can you elaborate on this

Comment

Don't have time to type much but if you go to mudhole custom tackle YouTube page they have a video on spining a fishing rod

Comment

Don't have time to type much but if you go to mudhole custom tackle YouTube page they have a video on spining a fishing rod
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X