60lb Speed bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60lb Speed bows

May have a trade going through where i'll be trading my 70lb bow for a Bowtech Destroyer 350. Thing is, its a 60lb model.

Curious as to how much speed I'm gonna lose, I decided to plug it into an archery calculator. 60lbs @ 30DL and a 500gr arrow has me in the 270s speed wise.

Heres what shocked me! I have a bear mauler (not the one I'll be trading) that is set at 70/30 with a 328ibo. When I plugged in the same numbers for the 60lb destroyer, the destroyer is actually faster at 60 than the bear at 70. This is, mind you, hypothetical considering its an online calculator, but I'll post back to this with numbers if the trade does go through.

What kinda boggles me is why guys buy "smooth drawing" 70lb bows when they can drop 10lbs in draw weight and wind up with a faster setup thats likely just as smooth. I know 10lbs of draw weight is usually worth 20fps, but I guess I just never thought about it.

you wont lose 20 fps on 10# Hell the new Elites are only 2-3 fps slower at 60# than IBO(70). Technology is coming quick in the archery world lol

Comment

I am going that way already. An I tell you I love it I'm shooting the obsession evolution at 60# an it's plenty

Comment

I'll tell ya what, I dropped to a 60 lb bow on my last bow purchase. I could not be happier. It's a Hoyt Faktor 30. That thing is sweet. I posted about this in another thread last week. I can't recall my actual numbers because it's been a while since I measured them. But, I've definitely not had any deer duck my arrows. I'm hitting them exactly where I aim. So, it's plenty fast. BTW I'm actually running a heavier arrow than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltej_77 View Post
          you wont lose 20 fps on 10# Hell the new Elites are only 2-3 fps slower at 60# than IBO(70). Technology is coming quick in the archery world lol
          I will on a 500gr arrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            I will on a 500gr arrow lol.
            Yeah, totally didnt put that into my thoughts haha. Shooting telephone poles from your compound may make you lose more fps.

Comment

I went from a 70# bow to a 60# Destroyer. My Destroyer shoots the same arrows faster than my 70# Bow.

Comment

My d350 was 60 lb 28.5" 448 gr arrow at 270-275

Comment

split yokes and flex guard, makes it one of most tuneable speed bows out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltej_77 View Post
                    Yeah, totally didnt put that into my thoughts haha. Shooting telephone poles from your compound may make you lose more fps.
                    Aw come on, 500 is just right. You want telephone poles talk to enewman!

And just for reference, my 2014 Xpedotion Xcentric 28"/60-70# loses 2fps for every 5# of adjustment. Not much whatsoever. I shoot 415 grains at 288 at 66# and 290 at 71#. I ballpark my next arrows (which will be 505 grains) at 270-275.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                      Aw come on, 500 is just right. You want telephone poles talk to enewman!

And just for reference, my 2014 Xpedotion Xcentric 28"/60-70# loses 2fps for every 5# of adjustment. Not much whatsoever. I shoot 415 grains at 288 at 66# and 290 at 71#. I ballpark my next arrows (which will be 505 grains) at 270-275.
                      Pretty sure you mis-read your scale, or you got an incorrect reading on your chrono.
                      A 60 lb bow typically IBO's 4 fps slower that the same 70 lb bow. Remember, this is 5 grains per pound of arrow weight.
                      When you talk about everything else being the same in a hunting set-up, (same DL, and arrow weight, same bows, 0ne being 60lbs and the other 70 lbs), you will typically lose 2 fps per pound, or app. 20 fps.
                      Yes, there are many bows out there that at 70 lbs, will be slower than the D350 will be at 60, even with same arrow weight.

Comment

Look at the OB bows. Their 60lb numbers will surprise you.

Comment

You can have the 70#'s. I started shooting 60's several years back and glad I did.

Comment

What's the opinion of turning a 60-70lb bow down to 60?

Comment

60lb Speed bows

Originally posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
                              What's the opinion of turning a 60-70lb bow down to 60?

Rocky can explain better but a bow with 70# limbs is less efficient than a 60# bow set at or near max weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X