Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!

My first bow here, a Diamond Outlaw 50lbs. I have a 30" draw, and it's tuned all the way to 50lbs. What arrows should I be shooting? What length? What should my total weight be? What should the arrow weight be? Broad head weight? Someone please point me in the right direction.

First step is go to a local bow shop. They can set you up and get you shooting. After that it's all preference based on your experience with it. You'll get lots of opinions here and all have their merits, but at the end of the day, if you aren't comfortable, you won't keep shooting.

Comment

Grab you some Gold Tip 5575s and some 100 grain slick tricks

Comment

I agree with getting to a shop to get set up. With a 30" DL, you might be able to get by with full length arrows, but you may want to have your arrows cut to 30.5" or 30" depending on how you like them to shoot as far as where the broadhead is in comparison to your riser. If I'm not mistaken, a 400 spine should be alright with your setup. I like the gold tip Ted Nugent arrows for lighter draw weight because they are pretty heavy, but some disagree because they are pretty large in diameter. I shoot Beman ICS Patriots and they have done well for me. With a setup at 50#, I suggest an arrow that is between 8.4-10 grains per inch, depending on what you want more, speed or penetration/silence. A heavier arrow is the #1 way to quiet down a bow, and while speed is an important factor, quiet kills. Do not obsess over how many fps you can get out of your setup. Focus on what setup provides you the most accuracy.
        Broadhead weight is not something to really worry about either. You could shoot a 100 grain or even a 125 with your setup and be fine, but it will depend on tuning whether or not you will hit your target. No matter what weight, I highly recommend a fixed blade broadhead, preferably a COC or something close like a Magnus stinger or slick trick viper trick. These are proven to provide better penetration, which is key when hunting. Mechanicals may be easier to tune, but they rob a lot of energy on impact, which is something I wouldn't want to be losing with a 50# bow. I'm not saying you can't use a mechanical, but I just don't trust them out of anything below 60. When purchasing arrows, if you would like to have some DIY fun, get an Arizona ez fletch mini with a right helical and a bunch of blazer vanes. Then you can buy shafts (which are cheaper) and fletch your own. I haven't bought a fletches arrow in almost three years, and I have no complaints with my setup or the flight of my arrows. The helical is superior in steering ability, and any loss in speed is minimal.

At the end of the day, it is up to you on what you want to shoot, and any reputable pro shop will be able to outfit you according to your wishes.

Comment

That's a pretty long draw, I'm a 31" draw. Since you're new to shooting I would go with a 300-350 spine arrow at that draw length, then if you decide to move up in draw weight as you go your arrows will still be fine. With a 7595 GT hunter an insert and a 100 grain tip you should be around 420-450 grains and have plenty of speed and power with your draw length.

Comment

Working...
          X