Argh...Walkback tuning fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argh...Walkback tuning fail

So I'm new to bow hunting. Acquired a used bow and am quickly learning everything I can about bow hunting (I say learning, my wife says becoming obsessed). Previously I'd occasionally be off of my aiming point by a little bit (an inch or so), and chalked that up to using new muscles, not being steady, inconsistent anchor points, and the array of misc. things that could plague a new shooter.

Last week I noticed I wasn't shooting accurately anymore. I mean off by 3-4". I came across a youtube video that talks about getting your bow level horizontally, and then vertically, and then doing walk back at 20/30/40,etc.

I was successful at putting them on a line horizontally, but really really struggling with vertical. I would be dead on the center line I made out of electrical tape, and it would be 4" to the left. So I messed with the sight box some left and some right, to try to see how to correct it. Nothing seemed to be giving me consistent results.

Then I set it back to 0, and tried again. Then noticed when I was at full draw, and my limbsaver rest was up, my arrow wasn't sitting centered on the rubber piece, it would sit off to the left (see picture below). When I manually put it center, it would be a pretty good shot (It will still require some fine tuning but was 100x better).

This is my first bow, and so it seems common sense how to adjust pins, and the sightbox, but with this Limbsaver drop away rest I'm at a loss.

I wonder if the rest may have gotten bumped, but when i try to move it with my fingers it doesn't move (to me, indicating it would have had to take a strong bump to knock it off course).

The angles do not look right to be on where it sits today. Would love to get yalls input and thoughts on how to determine if it is the rest, and if so how to fix it properly.

You'll the picture with the rubber piece and the orange background that part of the rubber seems to be coming off, which would indicate to me rubbing or some sort or problem
    Attached Files

The upper picture, that is only there to hold you arrow while the bow is at rest, to keep the arrow in place while you pick up and draw your bow. When the arrow rest comes up and picks up the arrow that will remove it from that little rubber holder thingy.

The lower picture, your rest is not set up properly. It should sit horizontal. You need to loosen the screw that holds it in the riser and get it horizontal. Although, I am not 100% sure that is a problem as long as it is consistent. However, I do not believe the rest is designed to be used in that manner. But what do I know, I'm no bow tuning expert, but have fine tuned each of my bows.

Comment

Get with someone that knows what they're doing bud. You're all jacked up.

Comment

Take it to a bow shop. There is zero chance that your bow will tune set up like that. As stated above, the arrow should be completely clear of the rubber piece on the shelf. It should be so clear, that your Blazers do not hit it one the arrow passes on a shot. That piece's only purpose is to hold the arrow while your rest is not engaged. Your rest needs to be completely reset and tuned. Ms tart from scratch at a bow shop.

Comment

After putting a bunch of pressure (just to see if it would even budge), I got it to move a bit, realizing a bump that had a bit more force then my thumb push could have caused it to move, I determined this was the problem. I loosened the set screw and raised it up a bit, instantly better.

Thanks for the advice JES.. when your bow is at full draw, should the arrow be touching the rubber piece at all? or slightly above it? Im playing with it now, but just wondering how close to that rubber thing I should be with this style rest.

Comment

Thanks Cast and Blast, sounds like I need to raise it up more to make sure the fletchings dont touch it at all as its shot

Comment

Your rest is not square with the bow, like at all. That is causing problems.

Also, that rubber piece is nothing other than something for your arrow to rest on while drawing. Should more than clear it at full draw (if you're tuned perfectly and it barely touches, re-align your fletches to clear it.

Comment

Yessir, that is what I've determined! I've adjusted it up and it's much better. But still need tweaking. Hopefully I can find a shop or person near Cypress that could help

Comment

Originally posted by Marada View Post
                  Yessir, that is what I've determined! I've adjusted it up and it's much better. But still need tweaking. Hopefully I can find a shop or person near Cypress that could help
                  You're not that far from West Houston Archery. It would be worth the drive for you bud.

Comment

I've got a Limb Driver and your's doesn't look like it's set up right in those pics. The red arm should come up when you draw and hold the arrow above the shelf.

Comment

when at full draw your arrow should be at the same height that the hole for your arrow rest is screwed into.

Comment

Originally posted by Marada View Post
                        West Houston archery has good reviews on here and are a site sponsor.

Comment

Also, you can just go ahead and loosen the limb cord acre to see where you are at full draw. That's how I rough tune my trophy taker (also a limb driven rest)

Comment

Good idea! Thanks popup_menace

Comment

Another vote for "take it to West Houston Archery".

They'll get you on the right track, fast.
                              Unless you just like doing it yourself, in which case you should start reading up on that rest and how to set it up properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X