Big Game Heavier vs Lighter Arrow Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Game Heavier vs Lighter Arrow Weight

Headed to Canada to hunt Moose for the first time this October. I have been hunting WT for years and using 70lbs draw with a 325gpi arrow with no problems. I decided to call the Muzzy Pro Rep who assured me my broadhead was fine but encouraged me to up the arrow weight to a min. of 450gpi. Thoughts or Comments???

Heavier arrow the better for blowing through bone and tissue.

Comment

I like 500 plus arrows. So I'm bias. But with a good head and an 450 gn arrow with a good shot placement. No problems with a moose from what I have read and seen with that weight.

Muddyfuzzy can get you in an good arrow around that weight with good f.o.c. That's two Benifits. Good luck on the hunt.

Comment

Just my opinion I'd definitely go heavier on a bigger game animal as moose

Comment

Yep to all replies. 560 grains here is what I shoot.

Comment

1- I wouldn't shoot a 325gr arrow at anything out of my 70lb bow because it will void warranty

2- At least 450gr is a good place to be for the big stuff but a little less will work.

Comment

I would shoot for an arrow in the 450-500 grain range. I have killed two moose, one in the Yukon and one in bc. First was with 425 grain arrow and second was 450 grains.

Comment

I just set up some Grizzly stiks 330s with a finished weight of 655. I'm shooting them out of my Carbon Spyder 34 ZT. I'am not worried about what bone I hit with these. I have the 200 grain samurai on the front. Over kill?? Exactly!!!!

Comment

Bigger is always better!

That's a really light arrow you're shooting. Just to check are you a short drawlength or you weighing without a Broadhead?

Comment

Thanks to all the replies....I do shoot a shorter draw length and that is my total arrow weight. To be honest I have been shooting these on Bloodline 400 spine from their release to market and never had a problem. I just picked up the 330 spines for the heavier gpi with an HT insert (brass) My 30 yard pin on the 325 works as my 25 on the 450 but I know i will have to change it all before I leave. Like I said, been hunting the the WT's for over 30 years and I have always gone on lighter arrows with very good shot placement. Even with hitting a rib from time to time it has blown right thru. I know a Moose/Elk/Caribou are much heavier so henceforth the need to sage knowledge. Again, thanks to all. AS

Comment

As everyone has said..... go heavy! I shot the Cape in my avatar with a 950 grain total arrow weight. I was using a Ed Ashby single bevel head...315 grains by itself. 29 inch draw, 72 pounds. buried up to the fletchings. He went about 80 yards.

Comment

I've hunted moose a few times and agree with the others. I'd try to get around 450, but definitely over 400.

Comment

I'm confused with your gpi reference, but I'll just assume you mean total arrow weight. I'd definitely recommend a heavier arrow for larger game. I shoot 411-415 grain arrows at 290fps, which is the optimum setup for me when it comes to hogs and whitetail, along with some larger animals. I'd be comfortable taking a moose with my current setup as well. A good heavier arrow with a COC BH or dependable fixed blade (slick trick vipers for me) will down pretty much any North American animal without an issue

Comment

You fixing yo go on a Tripp to shoot a moose. This may be a hunt of a life time or just another hunt for you I don't know. This is how I look at it. You need an arrow that will do the job if you completely screw up. Not an arrow that if it's a perfect shot.

Comment

400+ grain arrow. At 70# you should not be shooting a total arrow weight of less than 350 grains as it is very hard on the bow and will void most warranties. A 340 axis with brass insert and a solid broadhead I think would be pretty ideal.

Just a note. GPI is grains per inch. So how much the arrow ways per inch of running length. The actual unit of measurement is the "grain".

Comment

Working...
                              X