Thoughts on the montec CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys. Finally drew my South Dakota buck tag after 3 years of trying. So going this November to try and get a big muley. I always swear by slick tricks but I know up there I'm going to have to shoot around 40-50 yards and the slicks tend to drift a bit with the wind. I really don't want to try and send an expandable head 50 yards at a 250 pound animal. So picked up some of the montec CS heads. I used the original montec for years with good results. Any feedback on the newer carbon steel version. Thanks for the input.

Not everybody at once lol.

Comment

I've had terrible results from the Montecs. Small blood trails and lost animals on good/decent shots. Never tried the CS but will never buy another package. They are dull out of the package. Don't be scared of a mechanical on a 250lb animal. I killed a mule deer with a Rage and didn't have a problem, pass through at 70 yards out of a 65# bow. I'm not saying mechanicals are better, but a mechanical will do the job with no problem.

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 09-09-2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I have nothing good to say about montecs. Two deer lost in two years. I switched to Killzones and have never looked back.

Comment

I shot a deer last year with a Montec CS and it had zero blood. It only ran about 15 yards and crashed but I don't like the lack of blood trail.

Comment

I can add some to this being an ex G5 shooter! I don't like the Montecs for a couple reasons #1 and most people don't ever notice it tell I point it out and it's how bad they whistle in the air! 2 not sharp enough I always had to sharpen them! Now I shoot a wacem 3 blade! Man it's a fixed blade and it shoots light out and have been shooting them for 6 years now and the blood trails are incredible! Being a mule deer hunter myself, only killed 2 whitetail both last year! But at long ranges they shoot true I shot a hog a while back and it looked like he dumped paint cans all over!!! I shot my doe at 79 yards last year pass thru and blood everywhere!

Comment

i been itching to try my slick tricks out. I have always been a fan of the green 100 grain 3 blade muzzys. Never failed me and always good blood.

Comment

After a lot of research, I settled on slick tricks. Montecs are less than desirable by comparison

Comment

I've been shooting montec cs for about 3 or 4 years. I love them because they're simple and they last. All of mine have always been very sharp out of the package. I've probably shot around 25 hogs and deer with them. They do have a smaller cutting area but most of the time they do pass all the way through. The blood trail usually gets going after about 15' and there are more specs of blood that come in bursts. It's not a red carpet but it usually is very constant. I like them because I can use my stone to sharpen them after each shot. Usually I shoot about 3-4 animals with each broadhead until I loose the arrow or hit a tree.

It seems that most people on here aren't a fan of them but hopefully this information is useful. They're the broadheads I'll be using on opening day.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                    I've been shooting montec cs for about 3 or 4 years. I love them because they're simple and they last. All of mine have always been very sharp out of the package. I've probably shot around 25 hogs and deer with them. They do have a smaller cutting area but most of the time they do pass all the way through. The blood trail usually gets going after about 15' and there are more specs of blood that come in bursts. It's not a red carpet but it usually is very constant. I like them because I can use my stone to sharpen them after each shot. Usually I shoot about 3-4 animals with each broadhead until I loose the arrow or hit a tree.

It seems that most people on here aren't a fan of them but hopefully this information is useful. They're the broadheads I'll be using on opening day.
                    They are a cut on contact broadhead. COC BH are know for great penetration through bones, but they do have a tendency to not leave better that average bloodtrails due to them just having a slit vs. a hole like some trocar tip BH when shot through an animal. I've shot them along with other broadheads. They fly great, every shot pass through, strong, and reusable. But bloodtrails were inconsistent with shots that were similar shot placement from one animal to the next. I'm colorblind so I chose to move away from them, cause I need more blood to pick it up better. SO IF YOU'RE COLORBLIND I'D STAY AWAY FROM THEM!! IF YOU CAN SPOT A NEEDLE HEAD SPOT OF BLOOD FROM 20FEET AWAY LIKE MY WIFE(BLOODTRACKER) THEN HAVE AT IT.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post

Ditto for me...

Comment

Working...
                      X