Is it simply physics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it simply physics?

Okay, so I have my bow pretty well tuned up. I have pins out to 70 yards (for hunting out West), and can pretty well hold it together. I am shooting ST Vipers this year. At 30 yards, they are spot on with my field tips. At 50, they are about 2 inches low. At 70, they are almost 6 inches low. Left to right is perfect. My T3's fly spot on. I'm guessing the added drag on the front end slow them down a little more?

Is anyone else shooting fixed blade heads out to 70 and have them hit spot on with their field tips? I'm committed to the ST's for this trip out West. I'm just curious as to others' experiences.

Thanks,
    skooter

You are exactly correct.I have yet to find a head that shoots the same point of impact as field tips. The physics won't allow it. The problem is small and almost un noticeable at short ranges. For me anything after 50 I notice it and the issue is magnified the further the shot. It is especially bad at 100. Almost missing the whole target low. I have a separate sight tape for my broad heads.

Comment

Not out to 70 but out to 60.

I would do the same thing if the broadheads were hitting lower than fieldpoints at 70 as I would at 60. Lower the nock point a tiny bit (about 1/32 one turn on the string loop). Shoot again. Still low? Lower it another turn.

You can get them to hit closer but never exactly at that distance. With patience you will find the limit.

Comment

Good shooting as well. The average shooter cannot aim small enough to notice these slight changes in impact.

Comment

I really don't want to change my nocking point, as that may affect the tuning of the bow. Until I paper tuned it with a lot of patience, all I could effectively shoot was mechanicals. I guess I'll just throw in a T3 - just in case. I really plan on pushing for nothing over 50, with under 30 yards as the goal. However, if opportunity knocks, I intend to be ready to answer.

skooter

Comment

If they are consistently low at each distance just plan on compensating by aiming that many inches high. Hopefully you can get that shot under 50yds, but if not at least you know where your POI is.

Comment

It's all In tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                It's all In tuning.
                Yep, and my Ramcat 100's shoot the same at long distances as my FP's. Tuning, tuning, tuning!

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  It's all In tuning.
                  ding ding we have a winner

They should shoot the same, mine would to 90 yards

Comment

Originally posted by skooter View Post
                    Okay, so I have my bow pretty well tuned up. I have pins out to 70 yards (for hunting out West), and can pretty well hold it together. I am shooting ST Vipers this year. At 30 yards, they are spot on with my field tips. At 50, they are about 2 inches low. At 70, they are almost 6 inches low. Left to right is perfect. My T3's fly spot on. I'm guessing the added drag on the front end slow them down a little more?

Is anyone else shooting fixed blade heads out to 70 and have them hit spot on with their field tips? I'm committed to the ST's for this trip out West. I'm just curious as to others' experiences.

Thanks,
                    skooter
                    Are your field tips and broadheads the same weight? I've shot Magnus broadheads well over 100 yards before and to the best of my ability I couldn't tell the difference between them and my field tips. Now with that said I'm not a good enough shot to tell if they are hitting exact at distances over 50 yards but I was good enough to keep my shots on 6" pie plate at 90 and under. Now that I no longer hunt out west I don't even have a pin over 40 yards so I know I couldn't shoot at those long distances accurately any more without a lot of practice.

Comment

Will the tuning mentioned above not hurt my bow's performance? It took me a while to get it to where it would consistently shoot fixed blade heads with my field tips. Also, if it doesn't hurt it, what would be the difference in moving the nock point up/down versus moving the rest up/down?

tks
                      skooter

Comment

A tuned bow means better arrow flight with broadheads and field points. If your bow is not tuned and your broadheads are not flying like they should, basically with your field points, then penetration could be greatly affected because the arrow is not flying perfect when it impacts and animal, thus hurting penetration and possibly causing a lost animal. Tuning a bow to shoot like it should NEVER affects its performance except in a positive manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          Yep, and my Ramcat 100's shoot the same at long distances as my FP's. Tuning, tuning, tuning!
                          This
                          If u tune it'll be spot on

Comment

I shoot broadheads and field tips the same to 70-80yds.Not knowing any details(like arrow spine,rest,poundage,etc.)try raising your nock pt. slightly until your BHs and FP meet up at 70Yds. Paper tuning is just a starting point! Might be all you need but you can also have to make some slight adjustments after you paper tune.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                              I shoot broadheads and field tips the same to 70-80yds.Not knowing any details(like arrow spine,rest,poundage,etc.)try raising your nock pt. slightly until your BHs and FP meet up at 70Yds. Paper tuning is just a starting point! Might be all you need but you can also have to make some slight adjustments after you paper tune.
                              If FP and BH get farther apart then move nock pt. in opposite direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X