Teach me about Arrow selection for Mathews XLR8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I recently traded my Z7 for a Mathews Monster XLR8. My question is what spline arrow should I be shooting? I have a ton of maxima reds and blue streaks in 350 spline but I have been told that once I start getting into the higher poundage(70+lbs) that these arrows will flex and not be as accurate. Is this true?

Does anyone have an XLR8 and what arrows are you shooting?

Now is set at 72# right this moment. I have a 28.5" draw length.

A 300 spine arrow would be a good fit for your bow, draw weight and length. A 300 could even handle a little more tip weight than average and build a pretty awesome hunting arrow with a fairly flat trajectory and above average FOC.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      A 300 spine arrow would be a good fit for your bow, draw weight and length. A 300 could even handle a little more tip weight than average and build a pretty awesome hunting arrow with a fairly flat trajectory and above average FOC.
      FOC?

I saw some 250 splines in the classifieds, would they work as well?

Comment

That's going to be very stiff without a lot up front, a whole lot. I would not recommend that for your set-up unless you are wanting a heavy arrow.

Comment

I shoot a mr5. Next generation from your bow. Muddy is correct. Shoot the 300 spine.

Comment

I have a 70lb Monster 6 and an 80lb XLR8. 340s are on the edge with the M6 so I have shot 300 spine arrows for years. The XLR8 will shoot 300s but I went with 260 spine and brass inserts.

With those bows I would not hesitate to shoot a stiffer spine.

Great part about those bows isn't the speed with light arrows...its the ability to launch 450-500gr. arrows in the 280-300 fps range so you get flat trajectory, momentum, and lots of KE.

Comment

What muddy says!

If you're for reading look for a thread titled FOC Increase

Here's a link

Comment

Working...
              X