Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Sight Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sight Picture

I read an interesting article today that made me question how I shoot.

When I aim I generally focus on the target....and then the pin....and then back to the target... and then when I feel like everything is lined up I shoot.

When you shoot a rifle or pistol you focus on the front sight but I can say from experience that when I do this with my bow it only makes me shoot worse. I can only assume this is more of a personal preference thing but I think I'm going to give it a try and just focus on the target.

So what do you have in focus when you sight in, your pin or your target?

I concentrate on where I want them arrow to hit. The pin will find its way there if you stare hard enough for long enough!

Comment

I do exactly what he says in the article. I focus on the target, and keep my pin in the correct place using my peripheral vision. When everything "seems" right, I let it fly. It hasn't let me down yet.
      In the comments he mentions that he has trouble with shooting with both eyes open... I didn't know people shot a bow with one eye closed? Now I'm interested to see what additional effect that has.

Comment

The mind generally follows mental intent. Therefore, if you focus on the target your your body will naturally try to hold the pin on the X.

Comment

The best description was from a man that taught me in the service.
          You have to first acquire a sight picture, it has to be the same sight picture on every shot. You then paint that picture over the target.

Comment

Like I said focusing on the target seem to work best for me.

Comment

Working...
            X