No announcement yet.

Spine indexing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that if you buy .006 there are not supposed to be any more I have not tested run out on the arrows. Need to. Part of the reason is I believe gold tips measurement for straightness is measured at 28 inches. If thes is correct then your arrow would have to be less then 28 inches before it would make a difference.

I'm still in testing stages.
    For hunting and say 40 yards and less. What I'm doing is a waist of time.
    I just can't leave well enough alone.

Comment

Here's how it was explained to me.
      The .006" and +/- 2 grains is an average of the batch, I believe it's 12. So som will be straighter than others.

To demonstrate this the shop owner got a arrow spinner put my .001 on it and spun it. Didn't see much wobble from the first two, the third has some.
      Next he put my .006 on there and it didn't have any wobble....

Comment

I was told by my Gold Tip rep that the .006" is supposed to be for overall shaft straightness on every arrow labeled as a .006". I do not know what length the shaft is that they measure. I believe the +- 2 grn weight allowance is measured on a 29" shaft, so maybe they measure straightness at 29" also. I will try to get confirmation on this.

Comment

Between this thread and our FOC Thread I feel like I've still got LOTS more to learn

Comment

Originally posted by Quackedup View Post
            I was told by my Gold Tip rep that the .006" is supposed to be for overall shaft straightness on every arrow labeled as a .006". I do not know what length the shaft is that they measure. I believe the +- 2 grn weight allowance is measured on a 29" shaft, so maybe they measure straightness at 29" also. I will try to get confirmation on this.
            I was thinking it was at 28 inches. But I would have to research this again.

Let me know. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              Between this thread and our FOC Thread I feel like I've still got LOTS more to learn
              We all have lots to learn. But don't let what I'm testing and posting change what you are doing. Everything I've posted on this post can be done and have good results with out a tester and with out this amount of work.

It's funny though. I've been testing arrows for over a year now and I just now saw what I'm looking at. I think I. A little slow.
              I have a bad problem when I do things. I jump in hard and far. Then when I learn what I feel is good. I move to the next. I enjoy sharing what I have learn. Some is good some is bad. But we all need to remember. We have all killed buy buying a bow. Read a chart get arrows. Went out got the arrow sighted in and went out to hunt.

In never worried about foc, spine indexing, or even center shot.

Comment

Spine indexing.

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                We all have lots to learn. But don't let what I'm testing and posting change what you are doing. Everything I've posted on this post can be done and have good results with out a tester and with out this amount of work.

It's funny though. I've been testing arrows for over a year now and I just now saw what I'm looking at. I think I. A little slow.

I have a bad problem when I do things. I jump in hard and far. Then when I learn what I feel is good. I move to the next. I enjoy sharing what I have learn. Some is good some is bad. But we all need to remember. We have all killed buy buying a bow. Read a chart get arrows. Went out got the arrow sighted in and went out to hunt.

In never worried about foc, spine indexing, or even center shot.

You ever miss those days?
                I do
                Last edited by Pushbutton2; 02-27-2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

There truly comes a time when all of the knowledge we pick up along the way makes shooting less fun and more work. I still love every aspect of archery, but sometimes I have to get out of my own way.

Comment

There truly comes a time when all of the knowledge we pick up along the way makes shooting less fun and more work. I still love every aspect of archery, but sometimes I have to get out of my own way.

This might very well be one of the most true statements I've heard! They're are definitely times that I just take my bow, and shoot. I don't overly focus on good form, I just enjoy the day and enjoy the great sport we all love.

Comment

i agree but for me all the testing i do i enjoy

but when im hunting all the testing ive done and tuning is gone im enjoying what God has given us a great view and animals to kill and eat

Comment

Spine indexing.

So?
                        If we float an arrow and get the heavy/ curved side down.
                        If we put the cock feather with the curve down, would that not help overcome the initial flexing when it's shot?

Comment

Spine indexing.

To me, theoretically an arrow is the same stiffness all the way around. BUT the nature of a curve would make the "bottom" of the curve so to speak, stiffer. The same amount of material is on the top and the bottom, but the distance along the bottom should be slightly shorter, resulting is a slightly more dense material along the bottom. This would make the stiff side be the bottom of the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

So?
                            If we float an arrow and get the heavy/ curved side down.
                            If we put the cock feather with the curve down, would that not help overcome the initial flexing when it's shot?
                            You will never overcome the initial flexing when it is shot. Stiff side, or arc does nothing really when shot. The shaft is going to flex the exact same or nearly the exact same amount every time. It is recovery time after initial flex that is most crucial.

This IMO is becoming a distraction to actually shooting and getting better in that aspect. The minute gains you may or may not make is eating up precious time behind the string. And if you can't shoot well enough to notice a difference in spine or index location, what is the point?

This is to the point of needing some very expensive hardware, and high level computing to determine if it is or is not making a difference. Because there is no way that shooting by hand with human error, and eyeballs can come up with any real measurable conclusion.

Buy the bow, buy the arrows, and shoot them until you get so good that you can put the arrow anywhere you want at any reasonable distance. Then dabble to increase that distance while maintaining accuracy. All else is time wasting, looking for alternate reasons for not shooting as well as you think you should be.

Honestly I am not trying to be rude or mean,but these questions being asked will never have an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                              YHonestly I am not trying to be rude or mean,but these questions being asked will never have an answer.

That's half the fun quite frankly there is no chance I could be shooting right now, so I take stuff like this into consideration. If I can be shooting, I'm shooting not sitting in here

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                                You will never overcome the initial flexing when it is shot. Stiff side, or arc does nothing really when shot. The shaft is going to flex the exact same or nearly the exact same amount every time. It is recovery time after initial flex that is most crucial.

This IMO is becoming a distraction to actually shooting and getting better in that aspect. The minute gains you may or may not make is eating up precious time behind the string. And if you can't shoot well enough to notice a difference in spine or index location, what is the point?

This is to the point of needing some very expensive hardware, and high level computing to determine if it is or is not making a difference. Because there is no way that shooting by hand with human error, and eyeballs can come up with any real measurable conclusion.

Buy the bow, buy the arrows, and shoot them until you get so good that you can put the arrow anywhere you want at any reasonable distance. Then dabble to increase that distance while maintaining accuracy. All else is time wasting, looking for alternate reasons for not shooting as well as you think you should be.

Honestly I am not trying to be rude or mean,but these questions being asked will never have an answer.

This is what gets me. You say behind the string. Behind the string. Behind the string. With all this testing we are doing you HAVE to have time behind the string the test these theories. And the only way to do this is essentially with a bare shaft so the fletchings have no impact. I understand you are not being rude and neither am I. But of doing these things to your set up gives you more confidence in it why not do it. We have prolly 9 months till deer season. That's plenty of time to do tweaking. Not being able to be in the stand drives us crazy so somehow some way you gotta try to keep yourself occupied till then. And if your obsessed as I am about hunting playing with your set up passes the time till that magic moment your animal steps out in front and takes all that tweaking straight to the heart/lungs !

Comment

Working...
                                X