Time for a new string..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new string..

I bought this bow new in 2010, and it has not had a new string put on it before. And from what I understand the "general rule" is once every 3 years? That being said is a string a string, or is it much like the debates between Hoyt, Bowtech, and Mathews? The bow I have is a 2010 Diamond Black Ice Flx, I haven't shot it in about a year due to not having a bow target, and because I'm more of a duck hunter with a bowhunting problem. What would be a recommended string to put on it, and about how much would this generally cost, I realize that I would need to take it to a bowshop, due to me not having the know how, nor a bowpress.

Stephen

good question. I have an '08 Bowtech with the same thought. I priced a shop doing it here in North Houston and they quoted me ~$120 drive out. Is that too much?

Comment

korbinsstrings.com you will have to take it to a shop and have them put it on but the strings shouldn't cost that much I think I paid 25 bucks for the string on my buddies bow

Comment

Originally posted by cdobbka08 View Post
        korbinsstrings.com you will have to take it to a shop and have them put it on but the strings shouldn't cost that much I think I paid 25 bucks for the string on my buddies bow

Korbin has great customer service.

I was quoted $125 for string and mounting through Triple Edge.

Comment

Yup. Crazy prices being charged. Especially when the material for a string runs less than $10. But when you don't have a press it's out of your hands. Keep your string and cables waxed to preserve them longer.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
            Yup. Crazy prices being charged. Especially when the material for a string runs less than $10. But when you don't have a press it's out of your hands. Keep your string and cables waxed to preserve them longer.
            I wax them everytime I shoot before and after, and they appear to be in good shape, no frays etc. are new strings even needed? Im worried about pulling back on it to shoot it, and the strings give out and the bow blows up in my hand.

Comment

If the string is in good shape I wouldn't worry about it. Check your axel to axel measurement and draw length and weight if you can. If they are still in spec you are good to go. If you see a broken strand in the string it is time to replace now. If you are out of specs on your measurements you may be able to bring everything back with a twist or two.

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
                I wax them everytime I shoot before and after, and they appear to be in good shape, no frays etc. are new strings even needed? Im worried about pulling back on it to shoot it, and the strings give out and the bow blows up in my hand.
                Yes you should change it....to avoid the sting from breaking. Sometimes they can break underneath serving depending how tight the servings were served. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Dang I replace mine one or two times a year. Maybe I should wax them hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                    dang i replace mine one or two times a year. Maybe i should wax them hehe.
                    after seeing your set up i can see you going through that many strings newman.. That target was wore out

Comment

Originally posted by Buck assasin View Post
                      after seeing your set up i can see you going through that many strings newman.. That target was wore out
                      Haha. I still got another side on that target.

Comment

Its shots/care more than time. I shoot 500-750 arrows a week.... year round.... 2 years is a long time for strings for me.

Comment

It's unfortunate that the cost to replace a set of strings and cables on a bow are what they are. Especially for a good quaility set of strings and cables, then press install the new set and return the bow back to it's factory spec's with proper axle to axle and brace height measurements and getting its peak draw weight. Afterwards retie the peep and loop and dropaway rest if it has one takes a little more time. If you were to order a set of strings and cables from the manufacture or Korbin or VaporTrail they would usually cost you around $65. to $75 plus tax and shipping. Then add in shop labor for an hour and it can cost you anywheres from $110. for a single cam bow or $125. for a cam&1/2 or a binairy system. It sounds like a lot for someone that might only shoot their bow 3 to 4 weekends out of a year while waiting on rifle season to open, but for the serious archer that shoots year round it's a quaility service at a reasonable price. Please don't take this as a rant, just an explaination of what you'll recieve for your hard earned money.
                          Last edited by JusPassinThru; 12-05-2014, 08:32 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                            If the string is in good shape I wouldn't worry about it. Check your axel to axel measurement and draw length and weight if you can. If they are still in spec you are good to go. If you see a broken strand in the string it is time to replace now. If you are out of specs on your measurements you may be able to bring everything back with a twist or two.

At what point is my bow out of spec? For instance, the axel-axel for my bow is 31.75". If I measure this on my bow and get 32" or 32.25" is it still good to shoot? There must be some allowable tolerance? Im going to get it replaced, I just want to know if I can still shoot it until I can get into a bow shop.

Comment

Time for a new string..

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
                              At what point is my bow out of spec? For instance, the axel-axel for my bow is 31.75". If I measure this on my bow and get 32" or 32.25" is it still good to shoot? There must be some allowable tolerance? Im going to get it replaced, I just want to know if I can still shoot it until I can get into a bow shop.
                              Are you taking these measurement with the limbs maxed out? If not crank them down and remeasure.
                              Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 03-12-2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X