FOC increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enewman View Post
    It's not that 90 lb deer you care about. It's when that 200 lb boar shows up

Those are the numbers I got when I shot them through a chronograph

I know I was kidding, pigs and deer are 2 separate animals especially big pigs

So what is the preferred momentum? I feel like I have a good weight with some decent speed, heck I blew through a zebra with a 448 gr arrow so pigs and deer shouldn't be a issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
      Those are the numbers I got when I shot them through a chronograph

I know I was kidding, pigs and deer are 2 separate animals especially big pigs

So what is the preferred momentum? I feel like I have a good weight with some decent speed, heck I blew through a zebra with a 448 gr arrow so pigs and deer shouldn't be a issue

Pigs are a big issue when you get to a big boar that has a 1 inch shield you got to get through even your zebra is no match for that. And I've taken a zebra myself.

For the momentum number. No one can answer that. Broadhead alone can change what momentum number is. Here's an example. So we use a toxic broadhead. That head takes more power to get through so say it takes .57 momentum to get a pass. Now use same arrow with a two blade cut on contact. It may only take .47 on the same animal.

From what your posting looks like the 448 gn arrow is where you should stay at. With correct broadhead you will do all that you will ever want. Unless a Africa trip is in your future

Comment

Now let's go back to that's the numbers you got through the chronograph. Again you will never loose on k.e. Well until you reach a point in arrow weight. And I doubt you will. I've tested up to 1080 gn arrow and there is a publish write up to 1500 gn no drop

So when shooting through a chronograph just by having one arrow a inch higher or lower through the chronograph will show this. Shooting two different arrows as yours the tune can be off on one of them and it will show this. Also depending on which chronograph you use it's % of err even at only 1% will give you a out come like that That is why when running numbers through a chronograph you need to calculate k.e. And make sure your not having this type of problem.
        Last edited by enewman; 01-24-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
          Pigs are a big issue when you get to a big boar that has a 1 inch shield you got to get through even your zebra is no match for that. And I've taken a zebra myself.

For the momentum number. No one can answer that. Broadhead alone can change what momentum number is. Here's an example. So we use a toxic broadhead. That head takes more power to get through so say it takes .57 momentum to get a pass. Now use same arrow with a two blade cut on contact. It may only take .47 on the same animal.

From what your posting looks like the 448 gn arrow is where you should stay at. With correct broadhead you will do all that you will ever want. Unless a Africa trip is in your future

No africa trip in my future. Biggest thing I'm shooting anytime soon other than pigs is a red deer hind

Thanks for the help

Comment

No africa trip in my future. Biggest thing I'm shooting anytime soon other than pigs is a red deer hind

Thanks for the help

Any time. Good luck with the red hind. Good eating.

Comment

FOC increase

Zebra is ever bit as tough to penetrate as a hog is. As a matter of fact more so most of the time.
              Last edited by JW; 01-24-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

My arrows were 430gr and shooting 255-260fps and I went to a 375gr that is shooting 292fps. What's the diff in KE?

Comment

This is using a 100gr broadheads. Thought about using a 125gr on the 375gr arrows to increase foc. Should I?? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by firefighterTT View Post
                    This is using a 100gr broadheads. Thought about using a 125gr on the 375gr arrows to increase foc. Should I?? Thanks

If your happy with what you got and how it works on animals I wouldn't change a thing

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                      Zebra is ever bit as tough to penetrate as a hog is. As a matter of fact more so most of the time.

Yeah they are thick skinned and tougher than I ever thought they would be. Do I get bonus points if he was quartering away and with a rage lol???[emoji16] I Never was able to find the arrow afterwards either

I didn't even know what foc was back then I just bought some piledrivers because they were heavy and shot rage because that's what I was told to use and went and killed him

Comment

Yeah they are thick skinned and tougher than I ever thought they would be. Do I get bonus points if he was quartering away and with a rage lol???[emoji16] I Never was able to find the arrow afterwards either

I didn't even know what foc was back then I just bought some piledrivers because they were heavy and shot rage because that's what I was told to use and went and killed him

It might have been a different outcome had it been an 850 pound +\- stallion. [emoji51]

Comment

It might have been a different outcome had it been an 850 pound +\- stallion. [emoji51]

He was a stallion, Not sure how much mine weighed just know he was big to me.

Didn't you shoot yours with a light arrow? Did you get a pass through??

Comment

He was a stallion, Not sure how much mine weighed just know he was big to me.

Didn't you shoot yours with a light arrow? Did you get a pass through??

Yes I did and no I didn't. Not even close to a pass through and that was with a 2 blade head with 1/2 bleeders.

Comment

Yes I did and no I didn't. Not even close to a pass through and that was with a 2 blade head with 1/2 bleeders.

That's crazy well you killed him all that matters really

Comment

That's crazy well you killed him all that matters really

Yeah. Still took 2 arrows lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X