FOC increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enewman View Post
    Well if you where a little shorter it wouldn't take as long to get that bow at full draw. I do understand shoulder. Got bursitus in both of mine. 24 hour pain.

You don't know how often I wish I had regular length arms and shot right handed lol. But, it is what it is. I'm excited to try the freak. This one has evo cams instead of dc, but even so lots of people give it great reviews

Comment

Good I hope it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
        If all else is the same, and I go with a 100 grain insert vs a standard insert, can I probably just go 1 level stiffer on the shaft (400 spine to 340) or would yall think I would need to drop to a 300 spine? I shoot an obsession sniper lt at 63# @30" with 100 gn broadhead. I know I should probably already be shooting the 340 spine, but got a good deal on the 400s and got them to shoot pretty well through paper.
        the 340 will be way weak. 300's all the way, your length is tough on spine.

Comment

What about the Gold tip 22 series?
          I think the pro is a .300 spine that weighs 7.3 gpi..
          We could load the front up with 100 grain tip 50 grains behind the insert and be up around 15% with real good speeds..

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            We could load the front up with 100 grain tip 50 grains behind the insert and be up around 15% with real good speeds..

With a 30" arrow I calculate that at right around 400 grains, or a little less so you could possible get away with a 125 gr tip and 50 train inserts and really boost that FOC. I don't know for sure how long your arrows are, or how that spine would work with 175 grains up front; but could be an option

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
              With a 30" arrow I calculate that at right around 400 grains, or a little less so you could possible get away with a 125 gr tip and 50 train inserts and really boost that FOC. I don't know for sure how long your arrows are, or how that spine would work with 175 grains up front; but could be an option

29 1/8" :-)
              My draws 31.4 on paper so we're almost like twins

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                the 340 will be way weak. 300's all the way, your length is tough on spine.
                Thanks! I had it figured that I would have to go with the 300s

Comment

Gold tip 22 series arrows are thin walled and not real durable. When I shot 3d with them I had some actually snap in the targets. So for hunting I am not sure they would stand up to the beating you might give them, especially with all that weight up front.

You guys do realize the longer you dabble about what arrow to shoot you are costing yourself hunting time. But hey what do I know...
                  Last edited by bowhuntntxn; 02-04-2015, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                    Gold tip 22 series arrows are thin walled and not real durable. When I shot 3d with them I had some actually snap in the targets. So for hunting I am not sure they would stand up to the beating you might give them, especially with all that weight up front.

You guys do realize the longer you dabble about what arrow to shoot you are costing yourself hunting time. But hey what do I know...
                    It's off season. Will kinda. Going to kjo march

Comment

The thin wall could be a problem. Until someone comes out with something next gen the only way to get a lighter gpi is to thin out the walls. Right now carbon fiber is fairly maxed as far as strength and lightness (assuming good manufacturing techniques). So you have to find the balance between low gpi and high durability

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post

I'm still shooting my Gold tips. I like them a lot.

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
                        The thin wall could be a problem. Until someone comes out with something next gen the only way to get a lighter gpi is to thin out the walls. Right now carbon fiber is fairly maxed as far as strength and lightness (assuming good manufacturing techniques). So you have to find the balance between low gpi and high durability

That's what I'm trying to do now

Comment

That's what I'm trying to do now

That's the holy grail right there . Personally from what I've seen I like the arrows right in the 8.5-9.5 gpi range. Frankly I wouldn't want an FMJ simply because a 300 spine is 12 gpi. Seems really heavy to me!

Comment

After crunching a few numbers using the fmj would put me north of 560 for an overall weight, with lower FOC

Comment

The x impact or carnivore is the perfect comprise between stiff and light my wife shoots the carnivores and they are tuff sobs

Comment

We all know that fmj arrows are a great arrow. I would never discourage someone to not shoot them if that's what they shoot and are comfortable with them.

Now that I said that. We all know that the information is out there on what arrow penetrates better. That's high foc. Most of the reason when we as archers want more penetration we go to the pro shop. We ask them and they sale you on a fmj. This is a down side of some pro shops. They just don't know. Been doing it one way for years and it works for them so it will work for you.
                                So looking for an arrow that penetrates we have to look for an stiff spine that we can load up the front.
                                The problem there like posted above. They have realy reached the limits on arrows for now.

When I look at arrows I look for the spine I need. I look for the least amount of gpi. Then I look at the thickness off the wall. Take to arrows same spine one is .025. And the other is .03. The second one will better for building an high foc arrow. It will also be a little heaveier. This is where you have to do some testing and see which one works the best for you. And no matter how good the ontarget program is. It can not do that part for you.

Archery can be easy then it can be full of calculations. Just depends on how OCD you are

Comment

Working...
                                X