No announcement yet.

FOC increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just have to ask this question...... If EFOC (19-30%) leads to increased penetration would it not be possible to attain the same level of terminal performance shooting a lighter/faster arrow with EFOC as opposed to a heavier arrow with less? We all say speed isn't important but when we lie awake at night we know we cherish it. Why shouldn't we? What if a 520 grain arrow with 12% FOC penetrates the same as a 440 grain arrow with 23%? What would you do?

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      So I just have to ask this question...... If EFOC (19-30%) leads to increased penetration would it not be possible to attain the same level of terminal performance shooting a lighter/faster arrow with EFOC as opposed to a heavier arrow with less? We all say speed isn't important but when we lie awake at night we know we cherish it. Why shouldn't we? What if a 520 grain arrow with 12% FOC penetrates the same as a 440 grain arrow with 23%? What would you do?
      Ask you what to do
      In regards to your question, personally I'd go with the 440.....

But.....

Comment

If I can get the same penetration with a lighter faster arrow, then why shoot the heavy one at a slower rate!? It's true it is all about speed everyone secretly wants the fastest hardest hitting bow and arrow set up they can get. People preach smooth, quiet, dead in hand. But secretly I believe some want speed. And with today's bows you can have it all ! I believe my carbon Spyder turbo is just as smooth, dead in hand, and quiet as the elites but waaaaay faster !

Comment

FYI muddy if your making a 440 gr with 23% foc for the nitrum I'm following your steps on that one for sure !

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            Whats wrong with them?
            I replaced my broadhead adaptors form 100 gn to 40 gn So now the head is 175. So now got to retune

Comment

Just my thoughts from lots of research.

I think it is still a little of both. Dr ashby says 650 gn at 19% is a bone breaker

So if this is correct. Do I think a 500 gn at 25% foc will do the same no. You do not have the weight behind the tip to help with the Foward movement. I do think a 500 with high foc vs a 500 with low foc the high foc will penetrate better.

Same with your arrow I think the 520 with low foc will still out penetrate. It takes both foc and weight not just one or the other.

Now if I was into lite arrows. Then yes I would take your 440 over the 520.

I do believe that for anyone building a arrow. They should build it to he weight they want by adding weight to the tip as long as the spine can handle it.

All this is my opinion only. I have not tested this YET
              Last edited by enewman; 12-26-2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                Going in a exotic hunt jan 1-5 fallow aoudad axis black buck sika. Any which one that's big enough and presents a shot will be getting a deep impact !
                Where you going. I'm heading to the diamond c on the 16th

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  Where you going. I'm heading to the diamond c on the 16th
                  Extreme bowhunting in bracketville. Talked with the guide some good animals are being seen. It'll be just the wife and I on the ranch

Comment

To me if penetration remains the same, and IF both arrows tune it would be silly to choose the slower one. Speed=flat shooting=forgiveness. Forgiveness means better shots taken, and without good placement penetration doesn't mean squat.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                      Extreme bowhunting in bracketville. Talked with the guide some good animals are being seen. It'll be just the wife and I on the ranch
                      Nice I'm ready for some pics. Have a great time

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                        Nice I'm ready for some pics. Have a great time
                        You know it! Thanx

Comment

I believe I asked a question very similar to this one on this thread a while back. I wanted to know if a lighter arrow with higher FOC would penetrate better than a heavier arrow with a lesser FOC.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick'n'String View Post
                            I believe I asked a question very similar to this one on this thread a while back. I wanted to know if a lighter arrow with higher FOC would penetrate better than a heavier arrow with a lesser FOC.
                            I'm saying no. The weight is what gives you the momentum to drive the arrow.

No where In The caculation to figure momentum does it ask for foc.

But if that is true then why high Foc. High foc puts the weight at the front so when on impact the arrow will not flex as much. At that point you have less restriction thus better penetration.

The weight is key. Then foc.

The problem with high foc is finding a good arrow and getting the correct dynamic spine.

Comment

But the formula for momentum does take speed into account, and a lighter arrow is going to be faster. To me it's all about finding the right balance.

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
                                But the formula for momentum does take speed into account, and a lighter arrow is going to be faster. To me it's all about finding the right balance.
                                It does take in speed.

My 535 gn arrow is at 252 fps That is .598 on the momentum.

So let's say a 375 gn arrow. It will take that arrow 360 fps to have .599 momentum. Not going to happen. No bow on the market can do that. Full throttle would be the closet. That would be if it made the 370 ibo and at 30 in with only a loop on string

Now let's look at my 535 arrow but set draw at 28.5 for average draw. That now puts that arrow at 273 fps. That's .649 momentum. That means a 375 gn arrow will have to be 390 fps.

So no matter what a heavy arrow will always have more momentum in a reasonable fps.

So I'm thinking,yes can a light arrow can have the momentum for penetration as good as a heavy arrow. Yes but not with today's bows.

Could you imagine how loud your bow would be at 390 fps with a 375 gn arrow.

I also tested a 1080 gn arrow it shot 187 fps that's .896 momentum. Now let's use a standard hunting arrow at around 425 gn. That arrow will have to travel 475 fps to have the same momentum.

Yes this is very extreme, but you can see what it takes to get that light fast arrow to match a heavy arrow in momentum.

Is a heavy arrow really needed. Not in North America.
                                Last edited by enewman; 12-26-2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X