A tale of two Hybrids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tale of two Hybrids

With the season coming up and a lot of guys looking for broadheads or just something new and cool to shoot, I thought I would offer my experiences with one hybrid and my initial impressions of another.

Just got my new Grim Reaper Hybrids in today and my first impression is very positve. Fairly sharp outof the package and these things scream "well made." The blades snap into close position and none so much as rattle when closed.

For the last two years I have used the Gravediggers (not exclusively) and I am somewhat mixed about them. First off, I killed three deer last year and I think 6 hogs with the Gravediggers. All the exit wounds on deer frankly looked like they had been hit with a hatchet. Blood trails were short and easy to find. On one of the deer I hit a rib just about center on entry and still had pass through. One of the deployable blades bent, but that can be expected on a mech I think with a bone hit. On one of the deer (doe) I broke a ferrule at the front that caused the fixed blessed to come loose. In the broadheads defense I am pretty sure I had killed at LEAST one other animal with it, but I observed no visible blemishes or damage prior to shooting it before it broke.

They did work on the hogs, but I started to run into issues here again. Most of the pigs were in the 175 to 250 class, with one really big boar close to the 300 mark. Pretty much every shot bent a deployable blade, but again not a great concern. Again, I broke two more ferrules and on one a piece of the blade. The ferrules broke almost In the same place on each head, right where the fixed blade comes down into the ferrule. From reading other reviews I think this not that uncommon. I've shot a lot of pigs, and these are the only times I have ever broken a ferrule. I understand blades will bend, but now how a ferrule breaks. The areas I hunt are not rocky, and the best I can tell none of the heads hit anything "hard" other than maybe bone.

I may be a little biased because of great luck with Grim Reaper mechs in the past, but I tried to give the Gravediggers a chance. Heck, maybe I just got a bad batch. I guess it should be noted that Gravedigger does have a chisel point head offering which might eliminate the part that kept breaking on mine.
    Attached Files

A tale of two Hybrids

That grave digger can't even compare. Bad weak spot in the middle of the ferrule. Found that out last year and Mudslinger really did. I hv my GR Hybrids. The comparison is night and day.
    Mudslinger broke his ferrules on Bush Buck.

Comment

Yep, would not shoot the Gravedigger even if it was free. A very delicate head period in my experience. I too have received the GR Hybrids and looking forward to using them.

Comment

I am waiting for my gr hybrids to come in. I'm excited to see some pass thru channels.

Comment

I killed a nice 8 point opening weekend with the Hybrid. Quarting away, broke two ribs on entry and lodged in offside shoulder. Shot was almost 40 yards. Entry would was petty big and did some nice damage internally. Watched him fall. No damage to broadhead EXCEPT for the retaining cup. Created a little burr on the inside that would not allow a blade to reopen once closed. Replaced cup and works fine now. No bent or damaged blades.

Comment

Do any of you guys have experience with this new All Steel Gravedigger? I bought a pack yesterday and I was very impressed with how stout it looked and felt. Im going to shoot them tonight to see how they fly with my set up. The guys up at CCR had lots of good things to say about them and have personally used them on many critters.

http://nolimitarchery.com/products/g...ut-on-contact/
            Attached Files

Comment

Steel or or. It still produces a weak spot in mid ferrule. Yall get waaay to caught up in ferrule material vs design. Look at a Thinderhead 100 ferrule. Tough as nails. Aluminum.

Comment

Ragin,
                Have you killed anything with the GR Hybrids?
                I have them and they fly great just no animals yet.

Comment

I shot a small cull buck with the GR hybrid and it preformed very well

Comment

Thanks for the report. Mine fly great just need to get out to the lease and try one out on a hog.

Comment

Working...
                    X