Great F&S Article on Bow "Rules"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I came across this series of articles when I was researching my new bow purchase to death. I don't remember seeing it linked from the Green Screen, so thought I would provide it here.

_So how do you pick the perfect compound bow for your hunting? Two ways actually: You can turn to page 54 in the July issue of Field & Stream and read "Your Ultimate Bow," in which Scott Bestul, Will Brantley, and I put seven key assumptions to the test in order to answer the most vital questions about what really makes the best hunting bow. Or you can just stay tuned right here, as we roll out the whole story, one question at a time, over the next few weeks. Already saw it in the mag? Stay tuned anyway, because this online version fearures special bonus coverage, breaking down the inside story and the nitty gritty of each test._

If you want some of the quick the spoilers, here it is in summary (all based on shot distances to 60 yards)
    1. Longer Brace Height - No appreciable advantage
    2. Longer ATA Bows are more accurate - there is some truth here, but seems to be more dependent on mass weight combined with that ATA, but anything but ultra short didn't have a quantifiable advantage.
    3. Does Too Long of DL affect shooting - absolutely, in fact if you read all 7 articles, it probably had the single biggest effect on accuracy for everyone involved.
    4. Short stabilizers are only good for dampening, and do little to nothing for accuracy. Longer stabilizers provide noticeable accuracy improvements over 40 yards.

Can't say I agree with all of it, but I have to say that the longer AtA bows have always agreed with me. At 30' DL I can't shoot short/lightweight bows really well.
    Last edited by Kirby86; 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Well guess I fail at search. Sorry guys.

Comment

30' (foot) DL oh my!!!! ;-)

I think I like a longer ATA bow.
        I've only owned one.
        It's a Strother Valor.
        My DL is 32" but the bow maxes at 31.5" :-(

Comment

Disagree with the longer brace height statement, at least in my shooting and experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
            I came across this series of articles when I was researching my new bow purchase to death. I don't remember seeing it linked from the Green Screen, so thought I would provide it here.

_So how do you pick the perfect compound bow for your hunting? Two ways actually: You can turn to page 54 in the July issue of Field & Stream and read "Your Ultimate Bow," in which Scott Bestul, Will Brantley, and I put seven key assumptions to the test in order to answer the most vital questions about what really makes the best hunting bow. Or you can just stay tuned right here, as we roll out the whole story, one question at a time, over the next few weeks. Already saw it in the mag? Stay tuned anyway, because this online version fearures special bonus coverage, breaking down the inside story and the nitty gritty of each test._

If you want some of the quick the spoilers, here it is in summary (all based on shot distances to 60 yards)
            1. Longer Brace Height - No appreciable advantage
            2. Longer ATA Bows are more accurate - there is some truth here, but seems to be more dependent on mass weight combined with that ATA, but anything but ultra short didn't have a quantifiable advantage.
            3. Does Too Long of DL affect shooting - absolutely, in fact if you read all 7 articles, it probably had the single biggest effect on accuracy for everyone involved.
            4. Short stabilizers are only good for dampening, and do little to nothing for accuracy. Longer stabilizers provide noticeable accuracy improvements over 40 yards.
            I love these backyard tests! Totally inconclusive, except for that specific environment!

1) Longer Brace Height-No advantage when shooting in your back yard! In the real world, leaning out from behind a tree, kneeling down to shoot from cover, steep upward angles etc there is a DEFINITE advantage to having the forgiveness of a longer brace height. Remember, it isn't just about "twitching or grabbing" at the shot; it's also about torque and rotation on those awkward shots!

2) Longer axle to axle-If it's more accurate at 60 yards it is more accurate at 20 yards; physics is physics! The question is; is it accurate enough for you and the hunting you do?

3) Draw Length-I beat this to death, but yea, I agree with their conclusion.

4) Short Vs. Long Stabs-Longer (and heavier) is more accurate at 60 then it is also more accurate at 20! again, hard to get around physics. I would go a step further and say that overall mass and balancing would go much further for accuracy than just a longer stabilizer. Even a small amount of weight toward the shooter (front of the bow) and opposite the release hand will help greatly.

My biggest pet peeve is that they NEVER do these tests under any stress or in real world hunting scenarios; just standing in at the range, perfectly flat, good weather, etc...

For example, in the other thread, someone posted about shooting short brace height bows in short sleeves Vs. a bulky coat; in the real world the longer brace height wins in this scenario.

Back when I taught archery lessons I would do this: make everyone run around the practice range twice to get the heart rate up, breath heavy and maybe even sweat a little bit. Then immediately shoot a three arrow end; the results are eye opening. If you aren't shooting a forgiving set up, you will see a huge difference in accuracy while under stress.

If I were a Hooter Shooter I could shoot any bow and be perfectly accurate, but I'm not.

Comment

Rat, great summary there sir!

Comment

Rat for the most part I agree. What I would like to see is a hooter shooter setup to shoot badly and compared to same rig shot correctly. Like groups with torque applied to grip vs neutral.

Comment

ata should be considered with draw length and height. Peep to pin angle does indeed affect accuracy and that is why most longer bodied and draw archers do better with longer ATA bows. I'd also consider the source and who advertises in their pages. It would suit one or two of the big four for people to think longer ata and bh doesn't help.

Comment

Rat hit the nail on the head.

Comment

I prefer a bow to be at least 33" ata, brace I am completely indifferent about. a bow with 30" draw length is still a 30" draw length regardless of the brace and power stroke measurements. the difference in string angle between a 6.25" brace vs a 7.5" brace is so minimal its hardly even matters. personally I think a bow with a tall brace is a placebo to some extent but if the archer perceives it to be beneficial then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                        30' (foot) DL oh my!!!! ;-)
                        Lol... whoops. At that point I'd just have to shoot a ballista.

Solid point Rat!

Comment

Working...
                        X